• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tablet Data Question

Nikolle7517

Apr 29, 2016
Hello, I have a 4G Tablet with Verizon. I am on a shared plan of 1GB with another person. And as such, I don't have the information with me to answer detailed questions. However, this past month she was told my usage went over quite a bit. 500MB-700MB for me alone. We chose this plan and found it good since we mostly use wireless anyway. The only problem is that my tablet data on the day that I was to have my cycle end, it said I used 298MB. Well within my limit nevermine the actual 1GB. She never uses much either.
I figure that if she used 100, 200 even 300MB herself which is something she is likely to never do and hasn't done yet. That means my charges would have been the rest of the 1,024MB OR 724MB just to get to the limit itself. But then, we did go over a litte as well. But my tablet says I only used 298MB.
SO, can someone tell me in GENERAL the difference between my tablet and Verizon and what they say I have used???? I understand it can vary, but by how much???? Can someone please give me an Aproximate answer to this question???? If you can, I will be able to f igure out the rest myself. Thank you in advance for any help you can provide!!!!

The tablet is going to report all data use instantly. It takes a bit for VZW servers to update your account.

I would suggest that on your tablet, friend's cellphone, etc....
that you make a point of Never viewing any videos, or download pictures.

My daughter and I are sharing data with 4 devices. and we have a 6 gB/month plan.

Typically, though, we only use about .8 or .9 gB/month.....

I am the data thief when I get on my motorcycle and take a week long or month long tour.....
hotels have poor or non-existent WiFi and I use the data plan. I have a Verizon JetPack WiFi router on my plan, it is 4g only.

Lady Verizon just last week, told me to watch my data, and if it looks like I am going over, just call up 611 and ask them to bump you up to the next level. You can also use the Verizon app to do the same thing w/o dialing up 611.

it is far cheaper to buy the next level up for a week's worth of heavy use, than it is to pay overage charges.
then, when you get thru that week/month, you just dial the plan back down to the 1 gB level.... but, I thought the minimum now was 2 gB/month anyway??

MyPhoneExplorer lets you access a broken phone while locked

Nova Prime, Textra, Aqua Mail, Qi wireless equipped
MacroDroid can help extend battery life
MacroDroid senses Screen off, turns Wifi OFF
MacroDroid senses Screen UnLock, turns WiFi ON
PureVPN when using a public WiFi

Last edited:
Upvote 0
here is a typical VZW screen, note that one of the options is to change your data plan.
there is No Charge to change the plan, you can do it daily if you wish.....

start the month out low, then as you see you need more data, just bump it one notch.

VZW screen.png

Upvote 0
VZW is showing the data from Day 1 of your plan thru the current time.

The tablet is reporting the data from an arbitrary time. my phone is showing from the 18th of the month, my plan is measured from the 25th of the month.

the tablet will never agree with what VZW is reporting, they only go on your Plan start date to End date.
I suggest you just monitor the VZW app, and forget about what the tablet is reporting, it is erroneous anyway.

Upvote 0
I only do those things on wireless. My tablet is showing much less than Verizon says I used. How much can the difference be????

Okay, lets just say for argument, that your Data Plan starts on the 1st day of the month.
But, your tablet has decided that it will only report from the 15th of the month.... there isn't anyway for you to change that from what I see....

now, VZW is using all the data consumed from the 1st of the month, but your tablet is counting from the 15th of the month.... so it is less than the Data Plan usage.

Upvote 0
Look at this Data Screen.
Note that my phone starts all periods from the 18th of the month.
My Data Plan starts on the 26th and ends on the 25th.

The usage report between my phone and VZW will NEVER agree, you are howling at the wind.
I suggest you just forget what the .... tablet is showing you, it has nothing to do with your Data Plan Minutes.

Do you see that little Admonition at the bottom of that screen? It says the carrier's report will be different that what that screen is showing.

Phone Data Screen.png

Upvote 0
You cannot use the other phone numbers to look at your Data Plan charges.
Only the Main number that is paying the bills for all of the line numbers.

all of the phones that you have, will show the exact same data use on the My Verizon app.
each of them can show the individual use per line,
you click on Shared Data, and it will then let you see what device used what.

Upvote 0
I don't recall the Verizon app ever asking for the phone number.
it is tied to the line that is in use.

if you are talking about the Website browser page, that is totally different, and you will need the original login email address, or phone number, and password... and on your PC or web browser, you will need to supply credentials to certify that you are a Valid Party who has the rights to access that account.

once in that account, you can assign other Account Managers.
I have my daughter setup for my account, as I am 73 and one day, I might fall asleep forever....
she needs to maintain the account for as long as she needs it.

If you can't get the website to work, you are going to have to call 611 and talk to a Verizon customer Service rep.
once you do that, they are going to ask you a lot of questions to verify that you have the right to access that account. if you can't prove to them you have the right, they will refuse to talk to you.

then you must get the Paying Party to take over the phone call and have them certify that you can look at the account. If you can't get your mom/dad/ friend, to do that, then you are out of luck.

Upvote 0
1st: who are you?
2nd: are you an account manager? if no, you are done right there.

so, get the paying party to call in to 611 and set you up as an Account Manager, if he/she won't, you are done.

3rd: what is the Account Password?
4th: what is the billing account number?
5th: who is on the account, what phone numbers?

and from there, you are going to have to wade the waters.... because there is no point in me going on if you can't get primary access to the account.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones