tablet help please.

1. archie2000

archie2000 Member

hello.
    I am looking for a very cheap tablet this xmas.
    it needs to have Google play and be good for games.
    all help appreciated.
    thanks in advance

Advertisement
  2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Hello and Welcome to Android Forums.

"Very cheap" is relative. But, for the money, you can't go wrong with the Nexus 7. It will do everything you're asking and more. :)
    archie2000 and Granite1 like this.
  3. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer

Wecome to the forums!! :D

Well, theres a fine line between cheap and low priced. You can find low priced tablets that are great, and there are cheap ones that really are just expensive junk. Really need to research before buying a tablet these days. ;)

Personally, I've got a Kindle Fire and it rocks. I know it doesn't run android, but thats natively. It can be rooted and flashed to run android. The Kindle fire runs around $130 - $150

Another good tablet is the Nexus 7. It's $200, great price. From what I know about it, it's a good tablet. I liked it when I got the chance to play with it, ran fast, good screen, and it's pure android. :)

EDIT: ninja'd by our resident Lunatic!! :D
    archie2000 likes this.
  4. palmtree5

palmtree5 Sunny Vacation Supporter! VIP Member

Welcome! :ciao: Personally, I recommend the Nexus 7 because it is a great tablet all around. It's done everything I've needed it to do without trouble :)
    archie2000 likes this.
  5. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator Guide

Hmm a lot of people seem to be endorsing the Nexus 7, you really can't go wrong with it, and the price is great, look at some reviews and see what you think, but it is an all around great device.

I think i am going to move this thread into General Tablet talk just for the sake of keeping things in order and putting your thread in a forum where more people could give some good feedback. :)

Lastly, welcome to the forums archie :D
    archie2000 likes this.
  6. archie2000

archie2000 Member

7. lunatic59

This past year we (company) purchased 10 inexpensive android tablets to be used in a proof-of-delivery solution for our drivers. They work just fine, but you will have several things to consider. First, there will most likely be very little support for them should you have any issues down the road. They also won't be in line for regular updates and because of this will have very little resale value when you go to upgrade.

Also remember to sell them that low the manufacturer's have made some sacrifices in terms of features and/or quality. For instance the 512MB and 1.6 GHz single core processor might not have the horsepower/resources to play some games reliably. If you have a specific game in mind, maybe if you let us know we could advise you a little better. :D
    archie2000 likes this.
  8. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me Guide

I'm either endorsing the Nexus 7 or Galaxy Tab depending on ones needs. I think both are great.
    archie2000 likes this.
  9. archie2000

archie2000 Member

10. lunatic59

You realize that's a refurb, right?
  11. Granite1

archie2000 likes this.
  12. archie2000

archie2000 Member

ok thanks
    now I have enough info to make up my mind.
    thanks to all of yous
    Granite1 likes this.
  13. Granite1

No problem, please let us know what you do end up getting. :)

Also if you ever have any questions, just post em up, we're always glad to help. :D
    archie2000 likes this.
  14. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

To me the Envy tablet appears to be a rather budget Chinese device of unknown manufacture, with all that entails. A device like this would probably sell for about $40-$50 USD in Shenzhen, probably much less wholesale in lots of a thousand.
    archie2000 likes this.
  15. archie2000

archie2000 Member

ok I don't want you to hate me but i have found it near impossible to find a tablet from a well known manufacturer thats any good for around
  16. archie2000

archie2000 Member

also my phone says package file invalid when I try and install angry birds/cut the rope.
    I would like to try and find a tablet that doesn't do this
    any reasons why this happens?
    thanks again
  17. lunatic59

the "package file invalid" message is pretty much a generic message when some part of the download from the market fails. I've been going through this with a new Nexus 4. If i tried to get apps via wifi, I'd get the error but using mobile data it worked every time. Over the the past several days it has been clearing itself up, but I can't say it's anything I've done.

Most likely what is happening is that either the wifi drops at the end of the download so the checksum cannot be validated or the connection is dropped during download, corrupting the file. Sometimes if you try repeatedly it will eventually be successful, or sometimes if you install a small app (under 150k) and then go back and install the large app, it will work too.

You can try clearing the play store app cache and data, and forgetting the wifi network and reconnecting. Even rebooting the phone could help, but I really am not sure what's fixed it for me.
    archie2000 likes this.
  18. mikedt

mikedt 你好 Guide

lunatic59 likes this.
  19. archie2000

archie2000 Member

ok I have asked a retailer for more specs on the mintpie p81
  20. archie2000

archie2000 Member

hmm since the seller hasn't replied can anyone recommend the best thing I can get for cheap?
  21. archie2000

archie2000 Member

does android 4 mean it has playstore?
  22. lunatic59

Not necessarily. To get the play store the manufacture must license it from Google. Yu can't assume it's got access to Play if it doesn't state it specifically.
  23. archie2000

archie2000 Member

annoyingly I still haven't received a reply about having playstore on the tablet.
    what are your general opinions an ainol novo tablets?
  24. archie2000

archie2000 Member