Tablet suggestions - Full size USB, full size SD slot, HDMI

1. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

Hey folks. I'm looking for a tablet. Name brand only. 10 inch. Preferably ICS or upgradeable, but I may have to budge on that. My requirements are:

-Full size USB for viewing files on harddrives or getting documents from clients to display on the tablet as a teleprompter.

-Full size SD card so I can put my card from my camera into the tablet without an adapter and watch playback.

-And any size HDMI for presentations, giving lectures, and maybe watching Netflix.

What I've found so far that matches my needs:

Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet

Toshiba Thrive

These are both bulky and a bit dated, though. Are there any others?

I guess I could give up full size SD card slot since I keep a USB card reader in my camera bag. With that in mind, there's the Acer A500 (which is even older).

Any others out there? I'm going to wait for the upcoming Google event, but I doubt there will be anything announced with full sized ports. Seems to be going out of style with new models. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. kristalsoldier

kristalsoldier Well-Known Member

You could also maybe look at the Acer 500 tab.
  3. AntimonyER

AntimonyER AF Addict VIP Member

I love my A500, and ICS is working great on it.
  4. TheyCallMeBT

TheyCallMeBT Well-Known Member

Thanks everybody! Man, that Toshiba Excite would be perfect if it just had full USB. So I've decided that I can do without full size SD card slot. I'll just buy a USB SD card reader that is a thumb drive size/ shape and keep it in my camera bag. The Toshiba Thrive and especially the Asus Eee Pad Slider look nice. I think I'd probably really like the Slider. But I just don't want something that big and heavy to put in a messenger bag.

So I guess I'm down to just the A200 and A500. Any thoughts between those two?

And is there any other name brand model with full size USB that hasn't been mentioned?
  5. SoonerLater

SoonerLater Well-Known Member

If by "full USB" you mean the a USB host-mode port where you can connect flash drives, etc., it does.
  6. zuben el genub

zuben el genub Well-Known Member

Acer A500. We are using the HDMI right now. Getting stuff similar to NOVA from Youtube and playing that using usb stick rather than wifi.

The Vulcan is getting rather impressed with the tablet. Plus he can hold it without hitting a button or the screen.
  7. GALDROID007

GALDROID007 New Member

you can go for samsung 700t slate which have following features:
    full size usb port
    micro hdmi (for movies, presentations etc)
    micro sd slot
    mic / head phone jack
    bluetooth 3
    stylus / docking station included in tablet price
    intel core i5
    yea a windows os :(:(