Tablet with Keys

Last Updated:

1. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

OK, I thought I KNEW what I was getting my brother for xmas, but yesterday he dropped the bomb on me - he HATES touch screen technology.

a little background.

He is 55 recently found himself in a wheelchair and is in and out of the hospital a lot (we wont be walking again) he is a tech NUT, just not very good with it. He has used Palm Pilots and Psions for YEARS. so my thought was get him a tablet and a 32GB sd card and he should be thrilled for qite a while (He is an AVID reader as well)

Then he tells me he hates touch screen technology and the thing he liked about the psion was they keypad.

Now I have seen some android tablets with keypads on Alibaba and some other esoteric sites, but never known anyone who has used one.

I KNOW the kindkle has a keypad, but I dont know how much "other stuff" it does. Internet, Email, contact/calendar sync.

I'm willing to buy now and spend a month setting it up for him (thats what I did w/ my wife), but I'm not sure where to look.

anyone with ideas I'm all about it!

Advertisement
  2. Naysses

Naysses Active Member

Imo,
    buy a tablet and get a case with keyboard.... problem solved!
    Kindle reader is nice but it is just a reader but a tablet + case with keyboard in it, that's a net book.. besides I believe with time he will get to touch screen(as you already mention - he is a tech NUT).
    There is plenty cases with keyboard on eBay for $30.00 for 7" tablet or 10" tablet. All you need to know is:
    1) what size of tablet you are looking for
    2) Find out what kind of usb has in it... meaning microusb, miniusb or standard usb. Why do you need to know this? to buy a case with keyboard with the right usb connector.
    There is also some tablets with bluetooth capabilities that you can get a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse but no case on that.

I really think that a tablet he will be able to do more with the device that a just simple reader.
    Hope this help.... Naysses.

3. mindwave

mindwave Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i would hope he would get used to it but I think that part of it is that the paralysis in his back is causing his hands to shake, and I dont think he sees that getting much better.