TabView - Quick explanation and resources

Last Updated:

1. andywhoa

andywhoa Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Hi,

I've been developing my first app for a couple of weeks now. I have 5 screens and everything seems well. However, I'm considering changing the app's navigation to a TabView.

I haven't delved much into it, but I'm hoping someone can save me a little bit of time. It seems that people don't generally place Activities inside each tab. They simply point the tab content to a View. This is where my major setbacks are. 1) I already have Activity classes full of code and 2) I can't quickly guess how the structure of an app using TabView looks. For example, where do I put the handler code for clicking a button on a View? Does it all just get dumped into the TabView Activity somehow?

Could you please give me a quick synopsis of what I'm looking at doing, answers to any questions you think I may have, and point me toward some resources for creating TabView applications? A quick Google search really just shows me how to create a TabView Activity and add a couple tabs to it. The code doesn't go any deeper.

Thanks for your help

Advertisement
  2. andywhoa

At the moment I have Activities populating the content of my tabs. I've noticed something rather annoying. My MAIN Activity is an Activity I wrote for my user to log in to their account. After logging in, they are taken to my Tab Activity. Here is what happens:

When I am on my Tab Activity and I "minimize" the app by clicking the Home button and then launch it again, I don't get taken back to the Tab Activity. I get taken to my log in Activity. Why? I don't have the launchMode of my Tab Activity set to singleInstance... or is it singleInstance by default? How can I make the app re-launch showing the Tab Activity?

3. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

It seems like you'll have to save which activity you're in and reload that?

I just checked my app, and if I go to home and back to the app when I'm in the tab activity it force closes! I'll have to figure that out, thanks for making me check it.

4. andywhoa

I found my problem. My login Activity has noHistory set to true. I'm not quite sure why this causes the behavior I was seeing, but getting rid of it solves the problem.

5. cp1

cp1 Well-Known Member

Glad you found it -- and I'm glad you brought this up. I found a bad database / cursor error because of it!