take software from eris for droidSupport

Last Updated:

1. jaredroid

jaredroid New Member This Topic's Starter

hello i purchased the droid a few weeks ago and i came from the htc touch pro. i use my phone for everything even more than my laptop. i think the droid is an amazing phone and can do some crazy stuff but i am actually concidering taking the phone back because it doesnt do some of the simpelest of tasks i need it to do. number one is smart dial i cant stand that i hace to go through my contacts by flicking or searching to call some one. it is almost as bad as texting while driving. i did download a couple or programs that do this but they are so slow and not great at all. my touch pro had this along with many other phones and i was on a droid eris last night and found that is did both of the features i am looking for. it had a great smart dial program and i loved it. it also did the other task that i dearly need for work. that is attach documents such as work and excel to my emails with in the email program. on th edroid it only allows pictures to be added when you hit that attachment button. with a app downloaded to view my files i was able to long press and send the file to email but only one file per email and this is a complete pain. there are a couple other items that bug me like how slow the satalite gps is in finding the phone sometimes and my htc had a program called quick gps that updated the satalite info anf made hooking up to the gps almot instant. i am sure you are thinking just get the eris but i want to keep the droid mainly because a slide out keyboard is a must. if these programs are on eris and they are running on android which is open programming it should be able to be put on the droid right? you all know this stuff better than i do so i ask you these questions. can you help? Also i heard that the new 2.1 update that is comming out will disable the gps satalite that sounds crazy why would they do that?

Advertisement
  2. Barkleyfan

Barkleyfan Well-Known Member

Quick GPS is a free app in the Market. Email, I can't help u with. I don't mess with it enough. And Voicedial is their answer to smartdial. Works pretty good, so long as your accent is bland at most. You can find other solutions for dialing as well. I use GDE desktop with an application dock dedicated to frequently called people. I just swipe it until the contact I want appears, and press their photo. Problem solved. Bluetooth voicedial is the one function I'm still waiting on. All these nice cooked roms with overclocking, tethering, etc, nobodies addressed it yet.

3. Matt99

Matt99 Member

with regard to the dialing while on the road, try the direct dial feature. I use it and works well, just long hold a blank area on your home screen and select shortcuts...I put a bunch of these on my home screen and then I created a folder for direct dial and put them all it it, problem averted.

4. sherri

sherri Well-Known Member

In certain states, even this is illegal! Try Choice Dialer Pro for the dialing problems. It works great.