Taking picture using trackball...

Last Updated:

1. Megan

Megan Member This Topic's Starter

I just got my Hero a few days ago, previously I had an Instinct. So far I love the Hero, but one of my few complaints about it is having to take pictures by pressing the trackball. The trackball just feels odd to press and most of the time I have to press it multiple times for it to take a photo.

Anyone have any solutions to this? I doubt there is a way to change this in the settings, but is there an app or something that uses a more convenient button for photos?

Advertisement
  2. bhaktasa

bhaktasa Active Member

Instead of pushing the trackball, you can just touch the screen like you are trying to focus onto one point, but instead just hold your finger there (for about 3 seconds) and it will take the picture.

3. Lozer_Kid

Lozer_Kid Well-Known Member

I was having the same complaint, I didn't know about touching the screen instead of using the trackball!!
    :p

4. Kelmar

Kelmar Done by choice VIP Member

This is what I do as well.

5. Megan

Oh, you can? I tried this but I guess I didn't hold it down long enough. Thank you, bhaktasa!

6. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

Don't forget to play with the settings as well for better pics. The camera does a real good job but is not quite the point and shoot.

For instance, the White Balance and or ISO when in or outdoors can make a huge difference, if adjusted and off of Auto. Try different focusing options too. I keep my settings at 3M Resolution, Fine Quality, use 4:3 Standard Photo Format (easier for printing), GEO tagging off, Center Metering and ISO 800. I have yet to get a bad picture with those settings.

When using the screen alone to take pic's, remember to touch the screen quickly once to set focus range prior to taking the shot you want, it will help big time. :) I use the trackball (Orb) and have gotten used to it, with practice you might too.

Anyway, just some of my 2 cents...

:cool:

dominicanyor, flailer and Megan like this.
  7. Megan

Thanks for the tips, coolone2 :)

8. cooolone2

cooolone2 Well-Known Member

No Problem, you're welcome... :)

Glad if they help ya'...

:cool:

9. MJMonreal

MJMonreal Member

10. Xandria

Xandria Well-Known Member

Oh geez, thank you sooo much for this info! My finger is constantly slipping off that dumb track ball and I, too, usually have to press it multiple times to take a pic.

11. Taterus Maximus

Taterus Maximus Well-Known Member

I had issues using the trackball when I first got my Hero. The trackball needs to be broken in I guess, I remember mine used to require a good bit of pressure to click, but now it's much smoother. The little camera in this phone is pretty amazing too, I remember owning phones with no camera, and then ones that would only take vga res pics. Still had no clue about the screen method....

12. valdesr11

valdesr11 Well-Known Member

I had no idea about this and was going through so much trouble. My gf was starting to hate the phones camera just because of that. Thanks for the tip.