Taking Pictures Causes Evo To CrashSupport

1. androsooner

androsooner Member

Since the Gingerbread update my Evo has been locking up and then rebooting whenever I take several photos. I am not rooted and using the stock camera app.

I have tested this many times by taking picture after picture until my phone locks up and crashes. It usually takes somewhere between 10-20 photos to make this happen (I have seen it in less than 5). This exact behavior is also happening on my wife's Evo.

I have even tried a factory reset per EarlyMon's instructions in the sticky, which unfortunately did not work.

Has anyone else seen this since the gingerbread update? Does anyone have any suggestions for fixing the problem?

Thanks

Advertisement
    :
  2. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

unfortunately, since you are not rooted, there is not much that you can do. you can try and go into settings/applications/manage applications/ select the camera app and try and clear data and cache and see if that helps. other then that you may have to have a sprint tech look at it.
  3. Did you try your wife's battery in your Phone? Could be a battery problem.
  4. androsooner

androsooner Member

Thanks for the advice, I'll give anything a shot at this point.

Has anyone heard of others with the same problem post gingerbread? I couldn't find anything through searches.
  5. androsooner

androsooner Member

OCNBRZE---I tried clearing the data from the camera app. I made it to approximately 20 photos before it rebooted.

halfbaked---The wife's phone is having the same problem. Neither one of had any issues like this prior to this latest update.

Thanks for the thoughts.
  6. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

Having the same issue here. Ibam rooted...multiple gb roms ...on bot camera aps (stock and the newer htc camera aapk as well)

Cant find a trigger , it just randomly does it
  7. androsooner

androsooner Member

Today I downloaded Camera Zoom FX and the Vignette Camera Demo App. I took tons of pictures today with both apps and did not have any freezes/reboots. This workaround is ok, but I prefer the stock htc camera app.
  8. doebirds

doebirds New Member

I have the same problem with my Evo but it resets after 5 to 6 photos. I am thinking about uninstalling until a fix is found :mad:
  9. androsooner

androsooner Member

I have also seen it freeze up after 5-6 photos a few times.

Are you talking about uninstalling your camera app? I didn't think you could uninstall the stock camera app?
  10. Mr. Ed

Mr. Ed Well-Known Member

You can if you are rooted...but not on the stock set up.
  11. blcole

blcole New Member

I am having the same issue. I just updated my phone to the new 2.3 Gingerbread. I can only take 1 picture before my phone shuts off. It's frustrating. I hope htc will fix this and send an update.
  12. SixT7VDub

SixT7VDub Member

Same here! Actually Its been happening quite a bit since the Gingerbread update. Mainly on Camera apps.

And when resizing pictures to send via Handsent sms
  13. justryan

justryan Member

I'm expericing the same thing.
  14. alliekate

alliekate New Member

Since Gingerbread update, my EVO is crashing after taking photos, but I'm also not able to switch the view in an album to the list view (using the left button to see the small thumbnail view). When I press that button, I go back to the Albums menu.
    Lots of little issues after this update. :(
  15. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

did you do the maintenance update as well. it was supposed to fix some those issues. not sure on the camera issue though. have you taken it in to see if it is fixable?
  16. drmint

drmint New Member

Hi:
    Sorry for the long thread but please read.

I recently bought a HTC EVO from RadioShack for $29. The first one I got had the famous ghost voice msg problem and I was told by Sprint tech to remove the gingerbread update. I end up downloading the latest version with Netflix and ghost voice msg fix but my default camera app starts crashing. It got so bad that it went black screen and I can't even use the camera app anymore (it went black when I tap the camera icon).

I exchanged the unit a week later. When the guy gave me a brand new EVO and let me test it, the camera crashed in front of us!! He pulled out the SD card and reinstalled it and told me it should be OK. I was convinced that the crash is because the gingerbread update so this time I didn't upgrade to the latest version. Unfortunately, like the previously one, my camera app starts crashing after taking 5-6 pictures. My wife has EVO for 8 months already. No matter what I tried, there’s no way to crash her camera app. I also noticed that when camera app locked up and the device rebooted itself, it changes the dialer pad. The buttons of the 3rd and last row became smaller.

Anyway, I returned it this morning to RadioShack for the 3rd one. The store manager who has EVO himself never heard of any camera issues. He quickly gave me the 3rd one. He believes that I probably got two bad phones from a bad batch or some SD card problem. Later this afternoon, when I tested it again, it starts crashing!! This time the device is untouched meaning everything is in factory settings. No apps and no downloads. I reset the device to see if it would fix the problem but it didn't. Is it really bad luck? Should I continue to return it until I get a perfect one like the HTC tech support told me to? Or if there's a fix out there?

Any help is appreciated!!

Thanks!!
  17. drmint

drmint New Member

Anybody anthing??
  18. haxor

haxor New Member

Since gingerbread I can take q pic and forced reboot happens. Also directly after the update to 2.3.3 my restarts were lightning fast... After 2days of that the evo went back to the 2 min boot i was accustomed to.
  19. rivercat123

rivercat123 Well-Known Member

I have had the same issue with reboots after taking several pictures. If a factory reset does not fix the problem and if a replacement phone has the same problem, I don't know what the answer is. I don't feel like calling tech support because that usually just causes more headaches.
  20. voltron8myHat

voltron8myHat Member

This situation is not isolated to EVO. After the most recent automatic Verizon updates to my Droid Incredible (which occur without asking you if it's OK to proceed, and take your phone out of commission for 10 minutes when it happens), my phone now shuts down after taking one or two photos. It's extremely frustrating.
  21. melbel1

melbel1 New Member

Same with my phone. restarts after using the camera. I went to settings>System Updates>Update PRL. I just took about 30 photos one after another and had no problems. So maybe TRY updating your PRL?