1. Welcome to the newer, better version of Android Forums! Be sure to see the announcement and enjoy checking it out!

Some of you have been having login issues. - Please try now. Sorry for the trouble!
  2. All attachments uploaded on the first day of this new look need to be re-uploaded, or will appear broken. All prior to that, and all going forward, should work fine. We apologize for the inconvenience!

talk.apk

1. jeffzz421

jeffzz421 Well-Known Member

Hey again all,

I have been diong some reading regarding this talk.apk and whether or not its safe to remove. People are saying that its necessary for the market to work, and I found out that this is true with browser.apk, but after removing talk.apk (google talk) I have had absolutely no issues with the market not working or anything else. I read somewhere that talk.apk is no longer necessary with the new market. I just am curious on whether or not this apk is actually needed or not, and we can add it to the bloatware list possibly. Anyone else remove talk.apk and have either a good or bad result?

Advertisement
  2. edodonnell

edodonnell Well-Known Member

You may be right. I put it on the not safe to remove list because I read in other forums that it was linked to the market, but that may only be for other phones or older android versions. I will remove it from my phone and see what happens.
    jeffzz421 likes this.
  3. jeffzz421

Cool, thanks and ignore the part of my post on your other thread saying no one responded to this one (just figured cuz it was getting bumped down).

*The knowledge on this forum is amazing.
  4. jeffzz421

Bumped for a reply.....Did you ever do this Ed and what were the results if so??
  5. anDROIDy3000

anDROIDy3000 Active Member

I deleted it from mine and nothing has happened so far....I've been trying to delete latitude but can't find a way to do so....anyone knows how?
  6. ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt Well-Known Member

There are conflicting reports on this. Better safe than sorry.

go read this:

Safe Apps to Remove - SDX-Developers Wiki

Yeah, they said 2.1 and we use 2.2. Still, I've seen too many people have problems and it can't all be browser.apk related. ;)

also this:

I delete gtalkservices.apk, and now I can't download by Android Market, how can I fix it? - Android Market Help

Is is really worth taking a chance?
  7. Ren Forte

Ren Forte Member

I've deleted Talk with no problems. Everything works just as well without it.
  8. totalkaos1983

totalkaos1983 Member

Ive done it on Accident over a year ago with no issues what so ever minus the fact I can not use google talk except to view whats in the notification box should someone send me something on that Im client!