• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Talk me out of not getting an Original Droid!

I have this same issue with cars. Do I buy a cheaper car and mod it to be what I want? Or just buy what I want?

With that said I'm 99% positive I will be giving up my 1.25ghz, Froyo running, X-themed Droid for the X on launch day.

This is it exactly, although technically I wouldn't need to be spending more money on the original droid, just some time and headache going through all the different ROMs.

But since you're bailing on yours that makes me think I too should just get the X.

And do you have an STi? I've got a WRX modded to perform like a stock STi ;)

Upvote 0
I don't know about your analogy.
When you buy a cheaper car and mod it, it will at least be faster than the other car (at least in straight lines). But your GRAND 1.25GHz (like a pentium 3 overclocked to 8GHz) droid will still be slower than the X running at 1GHz (an i7 running at 3GHz). Not the same thing.

I wasn't necessarily talking about power...... Ex: My dream car is a M5. I could buy something cheaper and mod it to be as fast and luxurious as an M5 but if i can afford an M5, why not just buy it?

And do you have an STi? I've got a WRX modded to perform like a stock STi ;)

I have a 99 2.5rs (sohc) turbo with an sti shortblock.

Lol I'll pass. Droid X is superior.

BTW 2011 5.0 Mustang :D Fast enough for me.

Your right, it is superior. Thats why I'm here :) (In the X forum)

Upvote 0
EDIT: That didn't take long to convince me to wait it out for the DX. Thanks!

Okay, so my first android phone was the Eris, then the incredible and now I'm waiting for the X.

I happened to wander over in the Original Motorola Droid thread here on Android Forums and after seeing all the great things they are doing there I almost want to buy one of those instead!

They've already got Froyo running and some are even overclocked to 1.2ghz, something the DX may never be able to do with the potentially encrypted bootloader.

They are pretty cheap to buy now too... Decisions decisions...

Anyone who has the original droid please tell me why you are switching to the DX. I'm having serious 2nd thoughts on the DX now.

I just loaded BB v.04 with 2.2 and I love it. Every time I pick up my Droid I wonder why im so anxiously awaiting the X to drop. For me, Im just getting the X because its new, has a bigger screen and doesnt have the lame keyboard that i never use. If my droid had the same size screen as the X i would even think about upgrading.

Big props to the guy who works on the BB Roms, they are awesome!

Upvote 0
Lol I'll pass. Droid X is superior.

BTW 2011 5.0 Mustang :D Fast enough for me.

I ordered a Camaro 2ss fully loaded with everything but an automatic transmission. It should be ready for me to pick up at the end of the month! My Droid X is going to look great in that car. All I need is viper smart start to get on board with android!

Upvote 0
Not a big fan of this thread. Talk me out of getting a Droid. Go to the forums and read reviews and threads. We are not here for just one person. The forums are to help all. Do some research. Doesnt involve that much work. Who cares what someone gets.

Wow... I guess not everyone here is as friendly as I thought. :(

The point of this thread was to get insight from those who own a Droid and their reasons for keeping it or switching to the X.

We are not here for just one person. The forums are to help all.

It's pretty apparent that you are here to help no one.

Upvote 0
I know there are not that many times I would use it, it is more just to show off, "look what I can do with my android phone." But there are times that it would be convenient as long as I knew I was going to use it when I parked the car.

Alright, don't say I didn't warn you :) To get remote start working on a manual transmission vehicle you have to bypass the clutch sensor that tells the car the clutch is pushed in. You will be responsible for any damages that may occur. Most shops won't even install them on anything but automatics. My guess is you'll have all functionality of SmartStart except remote start.

Upvote 0
Alright, don't say I didn't warn you :) To get remote start working on a manual transmission vehicle you have to bypass the clutch sensor that tells the car the clutch is pushed in. You will be responsible for any damages that may occur. Most shops won't even install them on anything but automatics. My guess is you'll have all functionality of SmartStart except remote start.

The new remote starters for manual vehicles require a bunch of steps to activate. Something along the lines of the e-brake has to be up hit the brake a couple times, put it into gear then out again, not necessarily in that order though. If you dont do the steps or do it wrong when you park the car, it wont start with the remote.

Upvote 0
My girlfriend has the original Droid. She had a Storm 1 and the screen cracked so she didn't have a choice but to get another phone. She LOVES her Droid...but she has been looking over my shoulder as I've looked into the Droid X and has now decided that since she's within her 30 days, she's going to see about trading it out at Verizon early Thursday morning.

Everyone has their own opinion and in mine, this is THE phone to pick up. I can't wait til the 15th :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones