Talk on the phone while browsing the web?Support

Last Updated:

1. c4miller4

c4miller4 Member This Topic's Starter

Is it possible to browse the web while talking on the phone on the Eris? I can on my sprint hero and didn't know why you wouldn't be able to on the Eris.

p.s. Not trying to start a hero vs. eris fight, just wondered because I hate AT&T and wondered if their new adds with Luke Wilson were complete b.s.

Advertisement
  2. Caddyman

Caddyman Well-Known Member

No you can not. Verizon can not do data and voice at the same time.

3. Needsdecaf

Needsdecaf Well-Known Member

I could not with my AT&T blackberry either.

4. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

i thought sprint was cdma also...only gsm can do data and voice simultaneously.

5. GixxerJoe

GixxerJoe Active Member

ATT can do voice and data at the same time, only while on 3G. If you want to do voice and data at the same time on the Eris you can as long as you connect your data via WiFi. I stay connected to WiFi at work just for this purpose.

6. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Anyone know if data and voice will be possible when we switch to LTE?

7. c4miller4

c4miller4 Member This Topic's Starter

You are right, I must have had wifi enabled when I attempted it before. Sprint can't do it either. Sorry for the confusion.

8. acipollo

acipollo Well-Known Member

I know people say that cdma can't do data and voice at the same time, but, I remember a few years ago, there was a way(hack) to enable it. Also, aren't text messages transmitted over 1x on Verizon? And we can receive those while on a call..

9. yankeeboy

yankeeboy Well-Known Member

Not possible. EVDO stands for Evolution Data Optimized (or as AT&T reps tell customers, DO is called Data Only). Just about the entire VZW network is on EVDO REV A now, which does not support it. IF they were to upgrade the network to EVDO REV B it would support simultaneous voice and data - it is becoming obvious that with the rollout of 4G-LTE (Long Term Evolution), that they are skipping over that as a priority for now. In China, they have achieved test VOIP calls and Data Calls in excess of 9 Mbps, yet they have chosen this as the next step in their evolutionary path.

Text messaging is another animal, as it runs over the voice network - yet is phone driven. So some handsets have this feature, the Eris happens to be one of them.

10. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

11. ideaman4u

ideaman4u New Member

Which begs the more general question, is this ability phone, carrier, or technology limited? I have a new Galaxy S3 from T-Mobile and, so far, I cannot definitively find out whether or not I can talk and browse simultaneously. That is to say, it either cannot be done or I haven't figured out how to do it (cannot get to Internet while on an active call). BTW, T-Mobile has 4G here in Honolulu and where I am, I can see the 4G being used by the phone.

12. Demache

Demache Well-Known Member

Nothing in this thread would really apply in your case. This is a nearly 3 year old thread for one of the first Android phones on Verizon, which uses a CDMA network. Not being able to call and use 3G at the same time can be either a phone or network limitation.