1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

Talkatone is here! (google voice voip)Tips

1. ziddey

ziddey Well-Known Member

Just a heads up. Talkatone is finally available for android. I've found it to be the only reliable google voice voip solution for the Motorola Triumph.

Never had luck with grooveip or a pbxes account (tried with csipsimple, sipdroid, 3cx, etc)

Still early in development for android, but as it is, it already works great. Racked up a few hours worth of airtime with no major complaints.

Best of all, it's free

Advertisement
    :
    progmanos and navyseal430 like this.
  2. Whyzor

Whyzor Well-Known Member

I believe one of the major differences between this app and the others is Talkatone has backend servers to do compressed codecs that works better on VM's flaky 3G data. Groove IP works fine if the network is good (like on wifi), because it uses the default Google Voice codec that doesn't do a lot of error or jitter correction.
  3. ziddey

ziddey Well-Known Member

Oops, should have clarified. I've never tried voip over 3g. I'm speaking strictly wifi. Never had good results with grooveip/pbxes.

FWIW, gtalk/skype work fine on the triumph, even on 3g. gtalk video is extremely buggy on the triumph though and fc's constantly. skype is immaculate.

Either way, talkatone is the only solution that works for me (new apartment doesn't have sprint reception, so this is key!)
  4. wigginst

wigginst Well-Known Member

Does talkatone need another app as well to work here like on the itouch? On there I seem to need google voice connect as well.
  5. shimdachef

shimdachef Active Member

Terrible because it doesn't work if you have an adblocker installed...
  6. tlopez1973

tlopez1973 Well-Known Member

I guess that why it don't work for me then
  7. wigginst

It's working fine for me. They are aware that there is no missed call notification and are working to fix that BTW.
  8. jonie72

jonie72 Member

Very disappointed that Talkatone is not compatible with my LG Optimus T. Have been using talkatone on my ipod touch with good call quality.
  9. FaroeseViking

FaroeseViking Well-Known Member

I use the Grooveip on my Triumph. . .never a problem. Though I do use primarily on wifi.
  10. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member

What a piece of trash app. The only thing that works in this app is all the advertising. Can't change the audio quality unless you pay for the app. Every call I tried on my wifi, wireless N connected to 12MB cable, was jittery and not usable.
  11. AtticTRON

AtticTRON Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to agree. I downloaded the app early this morning and tried to use it, I even disabled my ad blocker, but its just so awful. I'm going back to Groove IP.
  12. ziddey

ziddey Well-Known Member

I'm pretty confused how grooveip works well for you guys and talkatone doesn't. It's the exact opposite for me no matter what settings I tweak. That's on two different Triumphs too. Hmm..
  13. wigginst

My guess is its a combination of the different phones, different software builds, what wifi or data its used over etc. Talkatone has actually been working better than groove IP for me lately as, well.
  14. xbrokdikdogx

xbrokdikdogx Well-Known Member

Groove IP has a free version now. I tried it out today and it worked perfect. Tried talkatone again and jittery audio. I was going to try it on my old optimus v but it isn't even listed in the market, excuse me play store.
  15. bluezeak

bluezeak New Member

I didn't know about either app today, and saw the paid version of groove ip first. I bought it to try it - it worked well. needed to tweak the mic volume up a notch or two though. Then I saw talkatone. Free. Tried it - it also worked well.

Both apps are pretty full featured, though Groove is a bit more configurable and seems to integrate a bit better with the built-in dialer (recently dialed). It's a hard call for me as to which is better or why you would choose one over the other. From the responses here I guess it depends on your phone, how it's setup, and possibly your network / wifi.

To get rid of adds, groove ip is cheaper with its $5 vs talkatone's $8.
  16. bluezeak

bluezeak New Member

GrooVe IP's quality was a bit stuttery for me. It has an option in 'troubleshooting' called 'audio processing' and another one called 'synchronize voice'. I have a Motorola Bionic, and I turned both of those on, and it works better for me. The bionic is decently powerful though - I don't know if weaker phones would be able to take adnvantage.
  17. Parafly9

Parafly9 Active Member

Does using either of these remove the ability to get calls within Gmail on a desktop /laptop? if so that's a dealbreaker for me.
  18. Sepero

Sepero Linux Guru Guide

I have a question here-
    If talkatone and grooveip both use google voice, then why not just install google voice and bypass these apps? :confused:
  19. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru

Because those apps use the Google Voice service, not the app , the official app doesn't support as many options and customizations.
    OB
  20. Whyzor

Whyzor Well-Known Member

Because Google Voice is just a call forwarding/transfer/ID service (despite its name). Talkatone/GrooveIP/Skype/SipDroid are real VoIP services that allow voice over internet.