Talking and Browsing the Web...

Last Updated:

1. DaGoTTi

DaGoTTi Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

howdy. i am new to the android world. i was on att and using a iphone until a few days ago i just got fed up with att's shitty service, and got offered a evo 4g @ the sprint store and jumped on it. so this is my first time ever using a android phone.

my question is, is it not possible to talk and browse the web or use the data service at the same time? on the iphone 3gs i could do this, and im sure it could be done on the iphone 4 (flop), but i cant seem to be able to do this on the evo 4g.

is this standard and if so is there a way around it? thanks.

Advertisement
  2. Cobravision

Cobravision Well-Known Member

You can only do this if you have 4G data service. They do this with the iPhone because they have GSM for voice and 3G for data. But if you only have 3G access, the 3G and CDMA cannot run simultaneously.

3. CoolBreeze

CoolBreeze Well-Known Member

You cannot talk and use data at the same time with cdma. when you using wimax or WiFi you will be able to talk and use data simultaneously. ATT is a gsm network and does not have this setback but like you said their network sucks.

4. t1jordan

t1jordan Well-Known Member

if your on Wifi you can search the web and talk at the same time.

5. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Everyone above is correct it is a limitation of CDMA however the Trade off is better reception especially in rural areas, better call quality, increased security, significantly less dropped calls (CDMA antennas are monitored by several towers at once where as GSM connects to one at a time), and CDMA is more expansive meaning it doesn't get bogged down as quickly by large numbers of cell phones. If you are an international traveler CDMA loses to GSM.

6. IOWA

IOWA Mr. Logic Pants Moderator

Good to see some people are learning =D.

Just a quick FYI, there is already a new CDMA standard being tested, known as SVDO, which would allow voice + data at the same time over 3G.

7. sikclown

sikclown Well-Known Member

Oy Vey.... I have known this about CDMA for several years (and yes I know you were being funny). Good to hear about SVDO though I never really find myself needing to use both at the same time. I guess if I could I would use it though.

8. IOWA

But the important part is, it's being field tested which means... possible deployment :D:D:D:D

Add that with EVDO Rev B, and CDMA 3G gets a badly needed make over.

9. hendodo

hendodo Well-Known Member

Turn on ur 4g...Well if u have it

10. BenChase7

BenChase7 VIP Member VIP Member

using 3G you cannot talk and receive data. If you are using 4G or WiFi, then you can talk and receive data at the same time.

11. Crodley

Crodley Well-Known Member

does that mean you miss incoming calls with your surfing the web?

12. RickJ

RickJ Well-Known Member

No, any data service you are using will be paused. This is noticeable when using streaming apps such as Pandora, the music will stop and then restart once your call is ended.

13. Crodley

Crodley Well-Known Member

Ah, okay thank you!

14. IOWA

Just a quick note, if you are on 1xRRT (2G) the data does NOT get paused, and you DO miss the call. However in EVDO(3G) the data gets paused.

15. effluent

effluent Well-Known Member

Ha! Never made that connection as to why I used to miss calls all the time if on the web, but never do now..3g was just turned on where I live seven months ago.

16. RickJ

RickJ Well-Known Member

Learn something new everyday. Had no idea this was the case. Tks for the heads up. I use Pandora frequently, though not sure how well it would do on a 1x especially set to high quality, I will avoid using it in areas without 3g.