Talking in the Car!Tips

Last Updated:

1. izzy35

izzy35 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ok so my bluetooth headset is usually planted on my ear and ON for the most part of the day. Today I decided to give my Incredible a whirl with using it as a music player while in my car, so that I don't have to also carry my ipod. Plugged it in to my auxiliary jack and music sounded GREAT! Then I received a phone call and the phone rang through the speakers, which I expected, as well as expected to hear the voice of the caller....what i DIDN'T realize was that my bluetooth was on my ear but OFF for the entire conversation and I was talking back through the car's speakers!!

I don't have bluetooth in my car so found this pretty awesome and thought I'd share this small wonder with anyone else who might be interested :D

Advertisement
  2. andreezy

andreezy Well-Known Member

Really, you're listening through the car speakers, and talking through the cell phone's mic. Car speakers aren't microphones. It has to be the incredible's microphone.

I too, have had a lot of calls through the head unit, as my incredible is my sole music player. so rarely does a cd hit my stereo anymore.

3. izzy35

I'm not sure HOW it worked, as this was the first time I hooked it up through the auxiliary to listen to music, but I'm telling you, the whole conversation was working through the speakers...It was wild, but a nice incidental finding, as now I don't HAVE to have my bluetooth headset on all of the time :D The people I was speaking to said I sounded crystal clear and where the actual phone was, was no where near my mouth.

4. AndroidRider

AndroidRider Well-Known Member

It's using the incredibles mic, it seems to have a good one, I have an aux jack in my car as well and do the same thing, I can have the phone sit on my lap and the people can still hear me fine, I've also tested this by holding the phone at arms length and talking while listening to people
    with my headphones, still works great :)

5. izzy35

Whatever it uses, I'm EXCITED!! LOL!!

6. PeeLoWanKenobi

PeeLoWanKenobi Well-Known Member

I stopped using my earphones in the car ever since I discovered this. It's a great hands-free alternative to bluetooth and/or earphones/headphones.

I was shocked and amazed all at the same time too. I came from an iPhone which was unable to do this. Now it's essentially a habit for me to plug my incredible into the aux jack upon getting into my car knowing that I can receive calls at any given time.

7. BustaNY

BustaNY Well-Known Member

Like what the other guy said.. The audio from the phone no matter if its music, phone call, notifications, game noise.. will play through the audio jack. When you get a phone call you are not talking through the car stereo. You are talking out loud and your phone mic is just happening to pick it up.

cover the mic hole next time you have a conversation and ask the other person if they can hear you no difference. you will see..

id imagine it works the same way with having regular headphones on too..

8. fatpomp

fatpomp Well-Known Member

When its plugged in to the aux jack and you get a call the phone automaticly turns on speaker phone.

izzy35 likes this.
  9. AndroidRider

I'm not entirely sure about that, but I'll check next time, doesn't make sense though as I'm pretty sure speaker phone is disabled when headphones are plugged in...

10. Higgles30

Higgles30 Member

Anyone have a link to a good cable that's not too pricey? I'm kind of interested in trying this...

11. izzy35

They sell them in all electronic stores; Best Buy, PC Richards, Radio Shack, etc. It cost less than $15. Just make sure you have an auxiliary jack in your car.

Higgles30 likes this.
  12. AndroidRider

Mine's a scosche from wal-mart.. roughly $15.

13. AndroidRider

Only problem I've really had is people complaining they can hear themselves do to the delay, but whatever they can deal...

14. BBock727

BBock727 Well-Known Member

Does this guy win an award? LOL. Talking through the cars speakers! Hilarious!

nick77 likes this.
  15. AndroidRider

So I got a chance to check this and you are incorrect, it's actually turning OFF speaker phone.

16. Rodent

Rodent Well-Known Member

a little off topic....but is there a way to make a music player start automatically when you plug into audio out jack on the Incredible?

17. yojoe600

yojoe600 Well-Known Member

they are really cheap u can get one anywhere just look for a male to male 3.5mm cable

Higgles30 likes this.
  18. Higgles30

Higgles30 Member

Thanks! I just found a retractable one on Amazon for $1.65 with free shipping. Small investment for an awesome feature imo!

19. TrooperThorn

TrooperThorn Well-Known Member

I've been doing this since I first got my Incredible at launch, and love it, however once in a while I encounter an issue where the person on the other end of the call does not hear anything from me. Not sure what the cause is, but nine times out of ten it works perfectly.

20. BBock727

BBock727 Well-Known Member

So no one else thinks it is funny that the op thought that his car speakers magically turning into microphones?

21. izzy35

No, apparently you're the only one...everyone else on the thread seems to be a little more pre-occupied with the POINT of the actual post..

22. scooz16

scooz16 Well-Known Member

Oh no i'm with you. The only reason i'm in here is to laugh again. It's actually better the second time.

23. tsrdrum

tsrdrum Well-Known Member

Off topic, but in defense of the OP:
    For all ya haterz, a microphone and a speaker are functionally identical. The only difference is in how it's wired, or more specifically if it is being used as an input or output device. Knowing this, it's not theoretically impossible to make a car speaker system into a microphone. There is a bass drum microphone (called the "sub-kick") that uses a 5" speaker mounted in a drum shell to pick up low-frequency vibrations.

The more you know...

izzy35 likes this.
  24. Medic3166

Medic3166 Member

Exactly...

Take a set of headphones, plug it into the Mic jack of any old tape recorder, and you have a crude, but working microphone.

izzy35 likes this.
  25. FramCire

FramCire Well-Known Member

Tasker.

It is like $7 I think (buy it direct from their website for a bit less). It can do this a WHOLE ton more. Go to tips sections and read up on tasker to find out more.