• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tapatalk disabled on AF?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So they are going to make us install one app just for this forum?

Woah there, no one is "making" you install or do anything buddy. You weren't "made" to install Tapatalk, were you?

So they can display their ads.
Yeah, it sucks that you're able to access these forums free of charge, doesn't it? :rolleyes: Servers and bandwidth cost $$$, and ads help offset the cost somewhat.

No problem the AC forums are generally better than AF anyway.
Whatever. I hope you find somewhere more suited to your attitude - AF obviously isn't.

Upvote 0
I am not going to download it if your main way of competing is by disabling your competition "for our safety." If you want to attract people to your app, try being better, not just being the only alternative like it because you won't let others do it. What am I saying? By all means, go ahead. That tactic worked so well for Verizon Wireless before they adopted android phones.
I made the mistake of buying an application to read just one forum, I will not do it again.

Upvote 0
oh.. that is what happened!

i see why the precaution. but some of us.. really like the tapatalk; and know better than to have vital info here! It is a public forum.
Warning us... so that we dont have vital info on here would be great.

but to turn it off completely is IMO; little to much.
it is not my forum and you do as you think best.

Well.. I hope the issue will be address by the Tapatalk developer soon; so it can be used here again.

Upvote 0
I am not going to download it if your main way of competing is by disabling your competition "for our safety." If you want to attract people to your app, try being better, not just being the only alternative like it because you won't let others do it. What am I saying? By all means, go ahead. That tactic worked so well for Verizon Wireless before they adopted android phones.
I made the mistake of buying an application to read just one forum, I will not do it again.

EXACTLY. I could not of said it any better.

Upvote 0
some of us.. really like the tapatalk; and know better than to have vital info here! It is a public forum.

It's not the account info itself that is valuable, it's the damage that could be caused once that compromised account is logged-in. This is a mere hobby for us... for Rob it's his livelihood (and his reputation!) at stake.

but to turn it off completely is IMO; little to much.
The decision won't have been made without a lot of thought, but until confidence is restored this is probably the safest option.

it is not my forum and you do as you think best.
I don't have to make such major decisions, fortunately. The guys that do are likely too busy to post right now though.

Upvote 0
Except it was nothing to do with "competing" and everything to do with security.

If thats the case, GREAT. But it sounds to me like TAPATALK is GONE FOREVER and the new app phandroid is working on is going to be the only app to support AF.

So your saying that when the security issues get worked out (which they will), TAPATALK can be used again for this website. Because if not, It then is NOT a security issue, its a "competing" issue.

Look, I love this site and this is the only android site I go to. But giving your users options, and not "strong arming" them to use said app is not cool.

Both apps can work just fine on this site. And who knows, I might try the new app, and it might be more user friendly and I would change to it. But if thats the only app and no TAPATALK, I will just visit this site on my PC.

Upvote 0
.. it sounds to me like TAPATALK is GONE FOREVER and the new app phandroid is working on is going to be the only app to support AF.

That's possible.

But we don't know yet for absulutely sure because, despite what's been posted by Phases and the moderators here about replacing Tapatalk, which shows vulnerabilities, we know very well that they react to expressed needs of the members; they read in here and they always attempt to find ways to solve problems while at the same time make the users happy.

My guess is that over time the Tapatalk utility will be reinstated.. <---- that's a guess with not proof.. in addition to their new utility.

Upvote 0
That's possible.

But we don't know yet for absulutely sure because, despite what's been posted by Phases and the moderators here about replacing Tapatalk, which shows vulnerabilities, we know very well that they react to expressed needs of the members; they read in here and they always attempt to find ways to solve problems while at the same time make the users happy.

My guess is that over time the Tapatalk utility will be reinstated.. <---- that's a guess with not proof.. in addition to their new utility.

Lets hope this is true because there is no denying there has been a fix to this security issue. its all over the place the app in the market has been updated and the plugin for the forum itself has been updated. security issue is resolved, so there really is no excuse. period

Upvote 0
Lets hope this is true because there is no denying there has been a fix to this security issue. its all over the place the app in the market has been updated and the plugin for the forum itself has been updated. security issue is resolved, so there really is no excuse. period

Agreed! I only bought Tapatalk for this and another forum and now that I can't use it here, I don't visit AF on my phone anymore. Tapatalk is a great app with great developers who jumped on this issue ASAP. I appreciate the owners of this forum looking out for security first and making their own app, but for us who have paid to use Tapatalk, it would be very nice if the owners here would re-install it for us. I've come to really enjoy this forum and I enjoyed it even more via Tapatalk.

Upvote 0
Is there any other option for easily viewing this forum on your phone? Thatt is the only way I view it.

me too....
but.. i guess we can go back to the internet browser on the phone. :(

sucks to be us... fans of androidforums and tapatalk!
not being able to QUICKLY and EASILY visit the Online Forum that we enjoy, on our Phone we like; about Android OS that we like.

hhhhmmmm something dont add up right!

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones