• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I followed the links and it seems like they fixed whatever problem it was (the gritty details went over my head), so, what's the real story here? Or is that really all it was, there was a problem with the forum client software, and the decision was just made to pull it to prevent future problems?

The reason my BS detector is going off is, I used to run a forum... Invision Power Board, not vBulletin. I think the former is called IP.Board now... anyway, it seems like every couple weeks there was a security patch or something. It was like Windows. Every Tuesday or whatever. And it would tell me, open admin.php or index.php or user.php or whichever, search for this (line of code), and replace/insert after/insert before (this other line of code). It was cool, made me feel like I was doing something important. And they'd say updating was optional, but if you didn't, IF YOU DIDN'T... the consequences were always scary and dire. Invision used to be free... up to version 1.3. However now, they caution that 1.3 is so problematic and insecure, all these things could go wrong with it... yet a lot of the free forum providers use it. Plus, the post-1.3 versions had backdoors, where they could go in and take over if they needed to. I heard of this happening when people would "pirate" the newer versions. They'd just go in and shut it down, wipe the database, whatever. (I bet if someone ran a pirated vBulletin, Jelsoft might have a similar method in place.)

Of course, at the end of the day, Tapatalk isn't a security update or a new, feature, per se... it's a forum mod, like the arcade, like the Flash chat, like the Shoutbox, like a bunch of other useless things my forum had. It's not essential... but the catch is, this is an Android forum, and have you actually used this forum on an actual Android device? It's pretty atrocious. The post field doesn't even fit, even in landscape mode, so as you type, it sometimes scrolls left and right (otherwise, you type off screen). And this isn't just the Google browser that comes with it, pretty sure Opera Mini and xScope do it the same way. Zooming doesn't help because text entry is locked at a certain zoom level. Never mind the type-to-display delay in all browsers. Anyway, point is, Android forum, it may be fine to browse on an iPhone, or a Blackberry, or WinMo... I wouldn't know. It's great on a PC. But it sucks on an Android device, which is both ironic and tragic.

I have no affiliation with Tapatalk -- I should point that out. However, I've been using forums for over 10 years now, and I've been calling for such an app for the PC. Sort of like what Microsoft Outlook and Mozilla Thunderbird are to Gmail. Something that takes the forum out of the web browser and puts it in a client program that manages multiple forums, and adds features the forums don't offer, such as ignore, an easy example, it just wouldn't load posts from those individuals. Anyway, I always understood that the main reason that such an app won't work is because many forums rely on ad revenue, and such an app would necessarily bypass the ads (as well as the whole site; it would have to create its own interface to the database, kind of like how GameFAQs and GameSpot have their own interfaces to the same forum system) and forum admins don't want that. Is that anything like the Tapatalk situation?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones