Task Killer and Anti-virus?

1. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

I have read in this forum that some people have the Task killer or Advanced Task killer and some have questioned anti-virus.

Here is my question part 1 of 2, Do I need a task killer? I noticed the available memory increase when I close selected apps. My phone dragged one time due to a defective app that I since removed.

Part 2 of 2, Do I need an anti-virus? I follow the rules to not get a virus, but this is a small computer. I suppose that any website or e-mail attachment is at risk. I know not to open attachments from unknown senders. But really do I need it?

I just downloaded Mobile security, that has anti-virus, online backup, and phone locator. It's really cool and gives the option to turn off features you don't want. It's free too!

I hope that CaddyMan and OfTheDamned will respond. I just want to know if I wasted that space or if this is a good idea.

Advertisement
  2. thetomlin2

thetomlin2 Guest

You dont need either. Some like task killers, others dont. Virus protection is a waste of space, I hope you didnt pay for it.
  3. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead VIP Member

Wow, I've never been requested before. Be careful or you will give me a big head. :D

I have made my views on task killers pretty clear on any thread that involves the topic. I think they cause too many problems for people and actually cause lag on most devices. I have yet to find anyone that has stopped using one and seen a decline in performance. Most see great improvement. If you really feel that you just have to have something like this on your phone, then the only one I would consider is Advanced Task Manager. It does not appear to cause as many problems as the others do.

As far as an anti-virus goes, I don't have anything. The backup software as well as the location software doesn't sound like a bad idea. I would probably take a look at Mobile Defense instead though, the reviews on Mobile Security don't read that great.

Not sure how many viruses are written for the Android OS, but I doubt there are many. Most viruses are written to attack Internet Explorer and the Windows OS. Anti-virus software is mainly designed to protect the information on a computer/device more than it is the hardware. I have netbooks that I don't bother putting anti-virus software on simply because the data stored on them is not that important to me. A good backup utility would probably cover your phone. Not sure which one is a good one though. Maybe others could make a suggestion.
  4. ErisDroid?

ErisDroid? Well-Known Member

Thank you all for your help. I have removed Advanced Task killer and Mobile Security. Mobile Security crashes my phone when I turn it back on in the morning (yes I shut my phone down at night). I will check out Mobile Defense. I just had an unrelated issue this morning, The application com.android.phone, and goole.gapps force closed. It took me removing the task killer and clearing the cache for google. Then three reboots to fix it. Anyone else have that issue? I'll start a new thread if it happens again.
  5. rigamrts

rigamrts Well-Known Member

i think it's more advanced task killer doing this and it seems to only happen with my eris. i don't have anti virus cause the way linux executes apps and all the false positives it would give case java code can act like virus just in the native way it works.

but my phone crashe the same way all the time but never thought it might be ATK doing it cause my G1 never does this. but i ussually reflash my phone with the MR2 RUU to get it back working again but that's such a pain cause of all the apps i have to reinstall.

i'll try removing ATK and see if this fixes it. thanks for your findings tho.
  6. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

i use advanced task manager to kill my apps every 30mins. i just exclude apps like tunewiki cause i dont want it to get killed while im listening to music in my car :)
    mobile defense (paid) is a must!
    while your at it, get my back up pro.
    all of this put your phone on autopilot IMO :)
  7. rigamrts

rigamrts Well-Known Member

that's a nice read. i really only used ATK to kill tasks that crashed but were still lingering in in the task tree. but it seems to cause more harm than good cause it can cause the phone to crash after reading a few things here. never got an aswer till this post on that cause most people atributed it to other apps they were using at the time. but i bet ATK is the biggest reason for phone crashes than other apps.

i removed it so lets see if my statement is true. cause it seems to happen randomly and the only things i have running are ATK and pdanet durring those times.