• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task killer not killing apps

325i

May 14, 2010
I have tried 3 different task killers but each one do not seem to be killing the task even though it says it is.

When i open the "killed" apps, they open to the last screen before they were killed.

I am using the froyo ROM. On 2.1, when the apps were killed and then re-opened them, it always went back to the main screen.

Right after experimenting a little, i have discovered the following.

The task killers are killing apps. I have done a test to confirm this.

I have opened many apps and then gone into the menu then RUNNING APPLICATIONS. There it shows me all the opens that i have opened. So i then kill nthem using a task killer and i go back to RUNNING APPLICATIONS. Now these apps are not there so they have been killed.

This "issue" that im having may be standard feature of froyo.

So can anyone open a few apps, use them for a few seconds and then kill them. When you re-open them, do they go to the last page you were on or do they go to app main page.

thanks

p.s. if i dont kill the apps, the list of running apps will keep getting larger all the time.

Upvote 0
Oh, for god's sake.

Froyo already auto-kills apps after a period of idling. You didn't need task killers before. You need it even less with 2.2. What is it with people's obsessive need to kill apps?

After how long after idling will froyo auto-kill?

I rebooted my phone about an hour ago, when it switches on about 20 apps startup. An hour later all these apps are still running.

Upvote 0

I rebooted my phone about an hour ago, when it switches on about 20 apps startup. An hour later all these apps are still running.

Don't worry about it. Open apps aren't really a problem unless your phone starts getting sluggish, which it shouldn't do normally. or a particular app stops your phone from sleeping.

Reactions: 325i
Upvote 0
Thanks Anthony.

Anthony, as you have the same ROM as me. When you kill a app and then re-open it, does it go the the last page you were on or does it go the homepage?

Depends what app it is. Some of them close fully whilst others tend to go dormant.

Again, I wouldn't really start to get obsessive about it unless you are getting a problem with your phone speed or battery life.

Reactions: 325i
Upvote 0
Thanks, on 2.1 eclair the internet app did actually shut down when i killed it. Looks like its different in froyo.

Could you try this test for a few other apps like market, gallery and any other apps please?

For me all apps go to the last screen i was on even when i kill them.

Much appreciated, Anthony

Upvote 0

I haven't done any testing, but since upgrading to Froyo, when I look at running processes, I'll now see no more than ten (if that) running. My memory's always at least 150 MB free.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones