1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Task Killer or Android Memory Management?

Last Updated:

1. garak0410

garak0410 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

When I first went droid, I decided to use Advanced Task Killer to kill those waward apps. Then, I read a good article on how we should let Android handle app closing and memory management. So, I turned ATK off and used Watchdog to monitor CPU usage. I did this for 2 weeks.

I switched back to ATK and I will say my phone's battery life and performance was MUCH better if I let ATK manage memory and apps than to let droid do it....I am on 2.1

Anyone have like results? Will 2.2 be better?

Thanks,
    Brian

Advertisement
  2. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Supposedly 2.2 will be better for battery life, but I expect that to be subjective; most posts I've read concerning battery life are.

What do you mean by MUCH better when using a task killer? For the sake of the phone's performance, battery notwithstanding, you're always better off letting the OS manage tasks.

3. garak0410

Well, good example...in my normal data to day use, when I was letting Android manage my apps and memory, my batter would already be down to 80 by this time of day (as I write this.) Back on ATK, still shows 92%...been like this for a few days now...so it seems much better with ATK...

4. X10iUser

X10iUser Well-Known Member

Hi.

That's also what I find, and on any article I've read saying otherwise you'll find comment sections with more people saying the same, so I'll continue to use it as real world use for me shows better battery life.

5. w_bovine

w_bovine Well-Known Member

Okay, that's a pretty significant difference. Do you know what programs are actually running in the background and causing the battery drain?

Have you considered rooting your phone? That would give you the opportunity to get rid of some of the bloatware that the carriers saddle us with. That could help with battery life. Also, you could use a program like Autostarts:

Autostarts - Android app on AppBrain

6. garak0410

I have also added EMAIL and MESSAGING to ignore list and it has helped my quirky email issues...and it is running smoother, faster with less battery use...

7. garak0410

I would say after a reboot, over half my apps are running...

I have the Samsung Captivate and I am waiting to root once 2.2 and the GPS fix is out...

8. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

They aren't "running". They are loaded in memory for faster access to them when you want to run them.

That's a good thing.

If the system needs memory, Android will determine the correct apps to unload from memory to free up memory.