1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Task killers and Antivirus apps

Last Updated:

1. tigrr07

tigrr07 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've been reading a lot about the task killer and AV apps here, but I am wondering if...

1 - are TK apps really nessessary? Does it help with battery life and why would you want to kill an app? I've read somewhere that TK apps are not nesscessary b/c android is a linux system.

2 - Can we get viruses on our phones? Are the Free AV apps we get here in Canada, since we cannot buy apps, good? Do they really protect our phones?

I have a HTC Magic w/Rogers.

Thanks in advance for your tips and opinions.

Advertisement
  2. thepinkc

thepinkc Well-Known Member

I think Task Killers are a personal preference. I haven't noticed any noticeable change in battery life when I was using it religiously to shut down applications and when I don't use it. Some people like the feeling that nothing's running. Android does shut down applications after a period of time if they need the memory for something else.

As with antivirus, I haven't done enough research to have an opinion about it, so I will wait to see what everyone else says.

3. shrink57

shrink57 Well-Known Member

I also have gone with and without task killers. I find my system is more stable without them and many phantom problems have resolved by letting the Android operating system juggle it's own tasks. As for anti-virus programs, at this point I have done fine without them. I am sure as the Android user base increases, threats will increase, I will have to take a second look. But for now, my system is task killer and anti-virus free and running great.

4. KlaymenDK

KlaymenDK Well-Known Member

5. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

I use Advanced Task Manager because it allows me to uninstall stuff easier than normally.

6. MarkHirt

MarkHirt Guest

Really?

Easier than Market--> My Downloads--> select app --> Uninstall

7. Szadzik

Szadzik Well-Known Member

Really.
    Top curtain, ATM, click and hold on the name of app, choose uninstall.

8. grainysand

grainysand Well-Known Member

I prefer AndroidMate for that. File explorer and scans your SD card for .apk for easy installations, also lets you uninstall and kill running processes too.

9. alostpacket

alostpacket Over Macho Grande? VIP Member