• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task killers and Antivirus apps

tigrr07

Nov 20, 2009
I've been reading a lot about the task killer and AV apps here, but I am wondering if...

1 - are TK apps really nessessary? Does it help with battery life and why would you want to kill an app? I've read somewhere that TK apps are not nesscessary b/c android is a linux system.

2 - Can we get viruses on our phones? Are the Free AV apps we get here in Canada, since we cannot buy apps, good? Do they really protect our phones?

I have a HTC Magic w/Rogers.

Thanks in advance for your tips and opinions.

I think Task Killers are a personal preference. I haven't noticed any noticeable change in battery life when I was using it religiously to shut down applications and when I don't use it. Some people like the feeling that nothing's running. Android does shut down applications after a period of time if they need the memory for something else.

As with antivirus, I haven't done enough research to have an opinion about it, so I will wait to see what everyone else says.

Upvote 0
I also have gone with and without task killers. I find my system is more stable without them and many phantom problems have resolved by letting the Android operating system juggle it's own tasks. As for anti-virus programs, at this point I have done fine without them. I am sure as the Android user base increases, threats will increase, I will have to take a second look. But for now, my system is task killer and anti-virus free and running great.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones