Task Killers...Good or Bad? My Opinion (not that it really matters)

Last Updated:

1. Airmaxx23

Airmaxx23 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

I've had my Droid X since July 1 and immediately installed Advance Task Killer and used it for a week. I only had it set to kill certain tasks/apps and nothing that had anything to do with the actual system. I then uninstalled it and have gone the last 5 days without it. I'm finding that the system runs smoother with fewer, if any, "hiccups" without using the task killer. I just thought I'd let people know since the X will be out in 2 days and I know the task killers are a big thing but I really think things run better without one installed.

Advertisement
  2. damstr

damstr Well-Known Member

I will be getting my Droid X in a couple hours. When I set it up I'll leave task killer off it and see how it runs.

I wonder why it would cause the system to run unstable.

3. Airmaxx23

I wouldn't really call it unstable. I've noticed fewer slow downs and hiccups without using it.

4. ghdtpdna

ghdtpdna Well-Known Member

@OP
    Are you saying that you just leave the apps running or manual exit them once you are done?

5. 10splaya22

10splaya22 Well-Known Member

When I had my Incredible I just kept it on there in case something went wrong with a program which is what Ill do when I get the X. I don't set it to kill anything automatically though.

6. Airmaxx23

I'm just closing them when I'm done, not actually going into the settings and stopping them, just backing out or pressing home.

7. lexluthor

lexluthor Well-Known Member

Here's google's take on memory management
    Android Developers Blog: Multitasking the Android Way

I read that as saying not to bother with task managers.

Personally, I just don't even think about it and let Android handle it. Once in a while if an app locks up or doesn't release the GPS or something like that, I kill it with systempanel.

8. aleis

aleis Well-Known Member

i play alot of games on mine (wow, i cant remember any since i sold my inc lol!!) but every now and then i`ll get one that freezes up. advanced task manager to the rescue!

9. ghdtpdna

That's what I was thinking since some apps don't really have an "exit" button.

10. ghdtpdna

I thought so, there had to be some mechanism in Android to manage apps running in the background.
    My worry is for non-technical users who may be dissatisfied with Android when in reality they have GPS, Camera, and a bunch of stuff running in the background. Also those coming from Iphone world who never had to face their phone slowing or locking up.

11. Airmaxx23

I just wanted to bump this up so people don't waste their time with the task killers.