Task killers on Eris

Last Updated:

1. angiethemonster

angiethemonster Active Member This Topic's Starter

I saw a post today and was wondering if there is any truth behind this:

"Task killers are pointless. Android powered phones have one built in, dont use one on my rooted nonsensikal froyo. Runs better then when I had it."

Advertisement
  2. doogald

doogald Guides Guide

Well, there have been several back-and-forth arguments about this on the main Eris forum. See, for example, this one. The answer (IMHO) is that, while it won't ruin your phone, having automatic task killing (rather than manually killing processes that you think you do not want running) does slightly more harm than good, and just running without an automatic task killer makes your phone run better.

If you have root there are ways to get Android to allow less RAM to apps running in the background, which lessens the CPU and probably battery load, using an app like Autokiller, for example, which is a far more elegant way to accomplish the same task as automatic task killing.

3. IzelTokatl

IzelTokatl Well-Known Member

as stated above, just done use automatic task killers (not specifically attacking ATK) as all the task killers have automatic functions. Just do the manual killing.

they tend to kill things that you want to run.

4. aminaked

aminaked Well-Known Member

Don't kill tasks.

5. funkyfender

funkyfender Well-Known Member

If you run into sluggishness without a task killer, install autokiller. It's not a task killer in the traditional sense. Instead of ending all tasks, it tweaks the internal automatic kill process.

For example, the android os might start killing background tasks when available memory hits 30MB. Autokiller tweaks that to start killing at 50, or a whole bunch of different presets.

6. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra= VIP Member

It's a very simple controversy to settle for each individual Eris user: run a task killer for several days or even for a week's use. You've already got experience without one, so draw a comparison.

This is what I did. My Eris always ran well, on 1.5, 2.1 OTA and now on most ROMs I test. I've tried Advanced Task Killer on 1.5 and again on 2.1 thinking that perhaps it might automatically take care of a few of the maintenance chores in the background that I do on a regular basis.

The results were ridiculous both times. On a good running device, with no issues, the app created slow downs and force closes.

Many install ATK in an effort to remedy slowdowns and/or force close issues. Reports on their success or failure are what has fanned the controversy in the forums.

Ymmv. ;)