1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

task killers

Last Updated:

1. deekum1627

deekum1627 Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

i had advance task killer then verizon says it gives the phone bugs and that why i kept getting my text message error. so they told me to use advance task manger. which ones are you guys running. i really like the advance task killer better

Advertisement
  2. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian VIP Member

Conventional wisdom is to not use Task Killers at all.

3. deekum1627

why is that

4. johnlgalt

If you actually have so many apps on your machine that it is lagging, then the issue is not the apps themselves, but all the stuff that is *running* simultaneously.

I am running Pete's BB 0.4 and have 165+ apps installed, but I almost never get a lag (the worse I get is when I come into network range and my twitter app starts updating mile crazy).

Unless you can prevent the apps from starting up, those that you kill will eventually start back up - better to get rid of them permanently if you have no need for them.

Plus, Android is based upon *nix - which truth be told, has much better memory management capabilities than Windows has ever had.

This is not Windows - so don't treat the DROID like it is.

I have been on both sides of the fence, and while I acknowledge that, in the short term, killing tasks makes the phone temporarily smoother, it also leads to more instability down the road - I have verified this myself. Ever since I have stopped using the task killers (I personally went for and bought ATM) my phone use has been much smoother, with many many less infrequent random reboots / lockups requiring me to perform a battery pull to get it working again.

deekum1627 likes this.
  5. deekum1627

wow great info thanks

6. johnlgalt

yw. It's how we roll at this forum :D

7. twistedlim

twistedlim Well-Known Member

System panel is the only one I would use and only in case of emergency to shut down a hanging app. It also gives you a lot of info on the processes on your phone.

8. deekum1627

what is pete's bb 0.4

9. deekum1627

also i just installed launcher pro which is really nice but seems like the phone is running a little slow. any idea why

10. johnlgalt

That, my friend, is a customized ROM - Pete's Bugless Beast v0.4 - and to use it you have to be rooted first.

If you're daring enough to try, head over to the All Things Root forum to do some reading (WARNING: Don't attempt to do this without first reading up on it very carefully. Although the process is pretty painless, there is more than a slight chance that you could brick your phone, ESPECIALLY at 1 very critical point in the steps.

My advice, should you decide that you are daring enough, is to read and read and read for the next 2 days, asking questions left and right. The forum members here are here to help - and they (we) do that very well.

TBH, it really isn't that bad of a process, now that things have gotten more streamlined, but if you don't know what you're doing then you can easily get lost and fsck up a step (or three).

Just as an example of how doing your research helps: I have never owned a smartphone before, the DROID is my first. I did a lot of reading and asking questions and hounding people, but when I took the plunge, I had minor issues, and all of them were user error stuff. My phone is the same original one I bought way back when. :D

11. deekum1627

thanks again lol

12. deekum1627

is there any thing i can do to make it runn smoother seems to lag a little since i installed the launcher pro