task killers???

Last Updated:

1. Stoo

Stoo Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

howdy, what is the general feeling with using task killer or advanced task killer, i havent got one myself (yet) as i had it on my hero and it seemed to slow it down quite a lot. are any of you using it and if so has it affected your desire in anyway?

Advertisement
  2. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

I use one, but i don't recommend it for the desire. I'm a heavy user and like to be in control. The Desire has so much system resources that you really don't need a taskiller to have a speedy phone. To be honest most people are better of without one, it causes a lot more problems that the little benefit it provides for the average user.

3. Stoo

cheers for the reply, i really cant decide, read mixed reviews, some ppl swear by it others say it causes problem.

4. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

They might swear by it for other phones, but probably not with the desire. Have you noticed any lag with your phone? If not you really shouldn't worry about a task killer.

5. Stoo

no lag at all, although i havent added that many apps or widgets as of yet, see how it goes for a while then decide and thanks for the advice..:D

6. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

np at all mate

7. wuthton

wuthton Well-Known Member

I would recommend SystemPanel from the Market. You will occasionally get a bad app that hogs memory, SystemPanel lets you easily see what is active. Auto-killers are nothing but trouble and completely unnecessary on the Desire.

8. Stoo

i'll have a look at that one, i did put a few new apps on last nite, and did notice the handset slowed down a little however the battery was low to so could have been that, i have charged it overnite and deleted the apps and is back to normal now, do a process of elimination today

9. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

you can allways try a task killer and see how it goes, i have one because some apps stay open for ages, EG i play 5 games on day, the next day they are all still open in the task killer!

10. Stoo

menu>settings>applications>running services

does this not tell you what apps are still running??

11. Kendoji

Kendoji Well-Known Member

I've been using Advanced Task Killer, simply because I'm coming from Symbian and am not used to leaving apps running. Haven't noticed any real benefits or problems from using it.

Some people say it improves battery life if you kill your background apps every now and then, that's another big reason I'm trying it.

12. sajon44

sajon44 Member

i was only getting 6-8 hrs of battery life from my desire,so decided to try some task killers as mentioned by other members.

since installing a killer the battery life has improved a great deal,i now get between 10-14hrs,so each to there own but it helped me.

13. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

They aren't really open in teh traditional sense of the word though. Thats why i hesitate to advise people to use task killers when they don't really understand the android operating system. It inst windows, it doesnt run apps like windows runs programs either.

14. damuffinman

damuffinman Well-Known Member

Yeah I second lekky on that, Android was built with this in mind

15. wuthton

+2 for that, any new users need to grasp the difference between running (foreground) and background tasks.

Hand on my heart, hope to die, auto-killers are likely to do more harm than good.
    They cause:
    -Missed alarms.
    -More battery/memory consumption than they save.
    -App/widget force closes then bad feedback for app developers.

16. Quboid

Quboid Well-Known Member

I've always used TasKiller on my Hero but I've been wondering if using it heavily is a good idea or not. From using Symbian phones and Windows and Linux on desktops, I'm used to the control of running exactly what programs when I need them and leaving a program running is something I'm not used to. On the Hero I do find it slows occasionally when I have a few programs running, not much but enough to make fast typing a bit hit-and-miss. So on my Hero it is useful occasionally, however, I feel I should move with the times and get used to letting the OS close apps when it needs to.

When I get my Desire hopefully the lag will be gone and I'll break this habit once and for all.

17. antipesto93

antipesto93 Well-Known Member

i went from hero to desire
    and on the desire the lag is gone....but you really do need a taskkiller as at times when i open the taskiller there are like 20 programs running!

18. lekky

lekky Lover VIP Member

Yep, the hero is different, it didnt have as much memory so you felt the lag if you had a lot of widgets/apps. But not on the Hero, as I said before I'm what you would call a heavy user, I really push the phone. I went without a taskkiller and there is no lag, it just has too much meory, and 2.1 seems to be heavily optimised over 1.5

WRONG!!!!!

You said it yourself there is no lag?!!? Why do you even care how many programs are "open". Open doesnt mean what you think it does, just beacause its "open" doesn't mean its really running, usually its signiture is just kept in memory.

No lag = no need for a task killer

20 open programs is exactly what should be happening!!!

grrrrrrr...

19. Stoo

hi, in the end i went for 'systempanel' app instead of taskiller and seems to work ok, lots of nice pie charts and stuff, tells you what programs are running and what are cached, im assuming this is the same as open (correct me if im wrong) with the option to close them if you want to..

20. wuthton

This is exactly why I recommended it. The developer has made a good distinction between what apps are foreground, background and cached.

21. Stoo

thankyou for recommending it