Task Manager on Rooted phone

Last Updated:

1. slyd

slyd Well-Known Member

My rom (mikg 2.56) came with a task manager. I have read so many negative reports about task killers that I'm not sure if I should use it or not. Should I use the task manager that came with my rooted rom to kill apps? I would like to use it every time I close out an app or hang up from a phone call. Should I use it every time I close an app if I see the app or dialer is still running when I open task manager. If I should not use it to kill apps, why did the developer give it to me?
    I'm curious. If you've "read so many negative reports", why are you still asking about task killers? How many negative reports is it going to take to persuade you to avoid using one?

Just curious.

Advertisement
  2. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Most people agree that task managers are no longer needed on android phones (rooted or not). The android OS is supposed to do a good job of killing processes on its own when they aren't being used anymore.

As to why mik kept a task manager on the ROM... No idea, but even if you use that it doesn't kill facebook, maps, setcpu, ect
    ocnbrze likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!! Moderator

yep i agree task killers are not needed for android systems. you can either delete it or freeze with titanium backup. or not even use it.
  4. lubberlick

lubberlick Well-Known Member

I find them nice to see what is running and play around from time to time while im working on trying to break my phone. Other then that I have never setup anything to autokill things.
    ocnbrze likes this.
  5. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer Moderator

Yup, agreed. Task killers can actually be counter productive in the long run. I've run MikG and not used it, if it ain't messing with anything, let it go. Or like Ocn said, delete or freeze.
    ocnbrze likes this.