Task Manager?General

1. Townie33

Townie33 Active Member

What TASK MANAGER do you folks use?

I not a big fan of the one I have. For whatever reason I must not be using it correctly, because each time I open it a ton of apps are still running (like Google Search, Maps, S Suggest, etc) and I am asked of I want to KILL them myself.

I really don't need all these apps running all the time (I don't believe).

As always, thanks in advance.

Advertisement
  2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ± Moderator

Well, the general consensus here is to use NO task killers at all.
    Android does a fantastic job at doing that itself and killing apps manually is not needed.

Android will keep things in the background until no longer needed.

I need to find a link about task killers for you but my computer is acting fudgy at the moment and perhaps someone else can link it for you:)

Edit: found one of many explanations:
    http://www.howtogeek.com/127388/htg-explains-why-you-shouldnt-use-a-task-killer-on-android/
    Townie33 likes this.
  3. AxlMyk

AxlMyk Active Member

It would help if you told us which one you're using now, instead of making us guess.

Samsung GS3 using Forum Runner
  4. valorian

valorian Well-Known Member

It really doesn't matter which one the OP is using. Task Killers are not needed.
    Townie33 likes this.
  5. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

Further more, theyre detrimental whilst often achieving the opposite of their intended goal
    Townie33 likes this.
  6. ExtremeNerd

ExtremeNerd Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, carriers are still pressing people to install these damn things....
    My sister came home with a new phone a few months ago and said the salesperson made her install it. Two minutes later it was gone.

In android, open RAM is wasted RAM.
    Townie33 and Mikestony like this.
  7. Yatezy

Yatezy Well-Known Member

Not necessary a task manager in the sense that it kills apps but similar. I have Autostart Manager and Greenify, i use these to stop apps from autostarting and to kill ones that i dont want sitting in the background
    Townie33 likes this.
  8. roehunter1

roehunter1 Member

When I first got the S3 in October of last year i jumped on the bandwagon of always clearing my tasks and clearing my RAM and was having multiple problems . The last 3 months I have weened myself off of that . I never clear RAM anymore and rarely even open the task manager and have been having a much better experience with the S3 . So I agree no task managers are needed .
    Townie33 likes this.
  9. BynoUK

BynoUK Well-Known Member

Can only echo what others have said, there's no need for a Task Killer, Android can deal with all that on it's own quite effectively.
    Townie33 likes this.
  10. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;) VIP Member

I use Memory Booster Lite widget to kill everything but only to make benchmarks fair when trying out clock speeds etc.
    It doesnt affect real life performance :thumbup:
    Townie33 likes this.
  11. ardchoille

ardchoille Well-Known Member

Townie33 and Mikestony like this.
  12. SUroot

...and yet another good article by our own lekky

Droid Den
    Townie33 and ardchoille like this.
  13. ardchoille

Townie33 likes this.
  14. SUroot

No probs. It's the article I point most people asking about Task Killers to. Its a great place to start for people who do not fully understand why they're installing a TK in the first place.
    Townie33 likes this.
  15. funkylogik

Yeah its old but says it all. Good read :)
  16. funkylogik

Maybe the fact that the s3 says this is a bit misleading
    1362243043305.jpg
  17. ardchoille

"closing" tasks is much different than "killing" tasks. Closing tasks using the back button is the preferred method.
    Townie33 likes this.
  18. funkylogik

I meant that that message probably gives new users the impression that killing apps saves battery :thumbup:
    Townie33 likes this.
  19. ardchoille

That's a very good point, I could see how a new user would be confused about that.
    Townie33 likes this.
  20. SUroot

I've never even noticed that before...
  21. sherlock5545

sherlock5545 Well-Known Member

I never noticed either, probably because I rarely go under 15% while using it.
  22. funkylogik

yeah its just when u hit 15%. What does it mean by charging being less efficient if you plug in at <15% and continue to use? (as opposed to charging while using the phone when its >15)
  23. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Closing apps is going to bring down power consumption. They're just trying to make sure you dont have something running your battery down

AKA wakelock
  24. funkylogik

Yeah apps like facebook etc but surely that would be true no matter what percentage the battery was at lol?
  25. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood Moderator

Correct, but when you're under 15% you do whatever you can to keep your battery consumption down ;)

When you're catering to the broad users of smartphones who have no clue about the underlying processes it makes sense to just have them use a taskmanager to close all apps to keep the phone from shutting down

It is a confusing dialogue though.
    Townie33, ardchoille and funkylogik like this.