• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Task/To-Do List App Suggestions please

ZepTepi

Android Enthusiast
Jan 30, 2011
San Diego, CA
I know there have been other threads started about this subject but none recently. At least not ones that I've been able to find that were helpful. I'm looking for suggestions for an app that can do the following:
  • Sync with Gmail Tasks
    • I'd actually prefer an app that would sync with Outlook Tasks but I've had no luck finding one that would work after months of searching. My Outlook account it through Hilton Hotels which I've found is more....restrictive than plain old Outlook.
  • Allow for quick adding of tasks via the mic on my phone.
    • I've got to add tasks on the fly sometimes and I currently use a similar feature via Evernote but it isn't a great Task/To Do list app in regards to the features I'm looking for.
  • The ability to have several accounts so I can have both a work & personal to-do list.
  • Has a good widget.
    • Who doesn't like a good widget!
The apps that have been recommended to me or that I've heard/read are good are:
  • Todoist
  • GTasks
  • Any.Do
  • Tasks(Supposed to be an Astrid To-Do list clone)
  • TickTick
If any of you have experience with any of those apps, or any others for that matter, I'd appreciate your 2 cents.

Thank You!

Mark aka Zep Tepi

===== NOTES ABOUT ACCESSING GOOGLE TASKS FROM PC=====
* If you are using google/gmail Tasks on pc, the half-page pop-up in gmail is really annoying… it is much handier to access the full-page “canvas” interface for your tasks from your browser here:
https://mail.google.com/tasks/canvas

* If you have chrome on your pc, you can go a step further and put it on your status bar: while browsing above site in chrome, select settings (three horizontal bars in URHC)…”more tools”… “create aplications shortcut”… “pin to taskbar”. That not only gives you a handy way to access it, it also gives you a handy way to see immediately whether tasks is open or not. To avoid syncing problems, I prefer to keep tasks closed on pc except when I’m using it, and also to make sure my phone is connected/sync’d before I access tasks on pc. Since I am often editing tasks off-line on my phone, I have the impression (right or wrong) that these rules will help make sure my changes are not lost/over-written.

====== MY CHOICE IS GTASKS =====
I’ve used gtasks for over 2 years and very happy with it.

==== GTASKS GOOD FEATURES====
* multiple lists (I have about 15)
*each list can be sorted by due date or by user sort order
*multiple levels of indent on each list
*When moving or copying, indented items follow the parent
*Above two provide convenient way to nest your outline notes to many levels
*repeating events
*customizable snooze options
*widgets can be for specific list or for all items, sorted in user order or in due date order. I have one master widget sorted in due date order from all lists. I have another widget for shopping sorted in user order
* very handy calendar picker (I use that a lot because I seem to be extending more than completing tasks ;-) )
* I like the "quick add" feature at the bottom of a list (microphone). Gives voice input followed by prompt for easy selection of due date and priority. I just wish the same feature was available on the widget.
* I like the easy priority feature. Click the star and the item is highlighted both in the list and on widgets so you can use it to identify your most important items
* search feature which searches all notes in any list (that’s handy. on occasion I’d prefer to search only one list and can’t, but the pc web interface for google tasks can do that… gtasks and pc together provide both types of searches).
*gtasks does have ability to select from all the gmail accounts on the phone (requested by op) although I haven’t used that feature. Having multiple lists gives me enough ability to compartmentalize and it is occasionally handy to have everything in one (search for something that might be grey area on the boundary between lists, have an all-in-one to-do list sorted by due date etc).
* above features based on my experience with pro version. I don't recall the differences in the freee version (check play)

====GTASKS "WEAK" FEATURES=====
(may or may not be weaknesses, just some things that could maybe be better)
* I’d love for indented tasks to be collapsible like they are in ms word outline
* does'nt have ability to save attachments. Of course google tasks doesn't either. But on occasion I'd like to have that.
* I did have one occasion in two years of heavy use (15 lists with about 1000 notes) where gtasks seems to have gotten out of sync with my google web based tasks. At that time gtasks would frequenctly f.c. the first time it tried to sync and then success the 2nd time. There were a few notes on web/pc tasks that didn’t show up on gtasks and vice versa. I resolved it by going off-line, clearing gtasks cache/data, uninstalling gtasks, reinstalling gtasks. No problems since then. I suspect I may have made changes on phone off-line and on pc on-line. then when tried to connect phone there was no way to distinguish which changes took precedence. Once I started following rules mentioned above under "pc access" I haven't had any more problems.

=====OTHER APPS=====
* At the time I chose gtasks 2+ years ago I tried out several different to-do apps and found gtasks suited me best. But the difference was not huge and there is an element of personal taste. I’ll bet that you can get what you want from any of the ones listed, except a few comments below:
* ticktick - I think ticktick is by the same authors as gtasks but syncs to a database on the authors' servers (not google's severs) and it requires some kind of ongoing subscription… not something I’m interested in.
* I like Keep for certain things, but it doesn't have enough features to be my sole tasks manager. Can't even restrict my view to items of a given color (and color is the closest thing they have to list category).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones