1. Tablet future looks bright! Read more about: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    New Forums: Alcatel Xess | Samsung Galaxy View
    Dismiss Notice

Tasker Forum request

Last Updated:

1. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

I think it would be a great idea to have a Tasker sub-forum - perhaps included within the Android Applications forum.

I realize it's an unusual suggestion to dedicate a forum to a single app, but the immense potential the app holds for android users to fully control their devices makes this a unique application, in my opinion.

I envisage a forum with sticky guides and glossaries of %variables, allowing individual threads to be dedicated to a particular profile that users are endeavoring to create and/or share with others.

The complexity of developing even a single Tasker profile means that generic tasker-related threads with titles such as "what profiles are you using?" posted in other general forums become monster threads containing mixed up explanations and responses overlapping and confusing and getting lost in the megamultipaged thread that is just too daunting to even begin reading.

Although it might seem that such a forum would be giving unfair support to a single commercial concern, I believe that Tasker represents a capability that is unique to Android OS, and sets Android apart from the competition, and is therefore an innovative development that should be wholeheartedly encouraged. Google has a sub-forum...

Besides, more and more app developers are creating plugins for Tasker and otherwise making their apps compatible with Tasker. Such a forum would be a platform for other developers to become engaged in the expansion of this automating platform, and give them an opportunity to respond to users that might utilize their apps if they were Tasker-compatible. It would enable developers to contribute to the profile-making process if they could show that their app could be used in a particular context.

I believe that the scope of this application is too large for it not to have its own forum, as there is otherwise no way of collating Tasker information that is dispersed across the forums in isolated posts where often a solution to a problem is to use Tasker to create a profile.

Pretty Please can we have a Tasker forum? :)

Advertisement
  2. SUroot

SUroot Well-Known Member Developer

I know Tasker is technically an App but the power and capability of it are phenominal. I think a Tasker sub forum would be a brilliant addition top the forum
  3. breadnatty08

breadnatty08 pain rustique VIP Member

I too like this idea. I bought it over a year ago but have barely used it since often it's just too over my head. :eek:
  4. SUroot

Yeah its very technical and must also say I am nowhere lose to using its potential. The amount of content we could generate for a sub forum would be massive.

If it was created, I would even do some searches to identify tasker threads that could be moved to populate it.
    davoid likes this.
  5. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

I agree. I really see it as a place where people can share their initially limited knowledge which will quickly expand as we grow and discover new uses for our phones.

Each profile thread would allow users to exhibit their take on a solution, enabling others to pick and choose routines, and we could easily generate an extensive library of stock tasks.
  6. Unforgiven

Unforgiven -.. --- - / -.. .- ... .... Moderator

Wasn't there an update that would allow you to export a profile as an installable APK? This alone may warrant a separate forum.
    davoid likes this.
  7. SUroot

havent found that feature.

It's like an OS in an OS.
  8. Unforgiven

9. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

10. Unforgiven

You can also sell them in the Play market too if I am not mistaken, it really is like an app within an app. I would never recommend a separate forum for an app but this one is really unique.
    SUroot likes this.
  11. Flumme

Flumme Well-Known Member

First off: please make us a Tasker subforum. No other app has the same need for it!

Second, if you put your profile(s) in a project, you can supposedly export it as a stand alone app .apk. Haven't tried it yet myself, though...
  12. monnty

monnty New Member

I did this using an addon from play and although I have not shared them yet it was spectacularly easy!
  13. Phases

Phases Community Manager Administrator

I don't have the plan to create this subforum at the moment but keep the conversation going, we'll consider it further in a few weeks.
  14. SUroot

I had a tasker question today. I had to go to Google groups to get the answer :(
    davoid likes this.
  15. kymberlin

kymberlin *~ Life is Beautiful ~* VIP Member

Wow... What an app. I do thank You-tube for pointing me in the right direction. This app/program is amazing. Every day I say..... Oh, let me set up a profile for that ! By far, my favorite app to date !
    Flumme likes this.
  16. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

+1000

I have to agree, the sheer depth and complexity of Tasker I feel warrants its own subforum. There are resources out there on the Web, but many feel outdated and not current.

It would be marvelous if we could make AF the go to location for Tasker questions and answers.

Sure, there are resources on XDA, but they're not exactly the most friendly bunch over there sometimes.

AF seems so much more welcoming and friendly. Folk here have a genuine desire to help other people out. I think we should capitilze that with Tasker!

Just my 3c is all (2c + tax)
  17. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

I was thinking... if the possible issue with a Tasker forum is that it is proprietary software, then we could have a more generic Automation or Profiling forum, where we could also discuss other profiling apps such as Llama, and NFC profiling apps such as NFC Re TAG.

It could be a Go To location for all the collated knowledge about automating our android devices.
    Flumme likes this.
  18. Flumme

Flumme Well-Known Member

Another alternative is to place the Tasker forum as a subforum under Applications.

I would ideally like to have it a little easier to find right off the bat, but at least this way you don't give Tasker an advantage you will not be able to give another proprietary app with the corresponding "need" for a separate forum, without compromising the forum organisation tree completely.
  19. dautley

dautley VIP Member VIP Member

If AF were to provide a Tasker sub-forum at what point would they draw the line at providing free tech support for app developers? Titanium Backup does a lot of things for root users to, but I don't expect to find forums on specific apps on here.
  20. Rachel A

Rachel A Well-Known Member

It's a little different don't you think. TB does primarily one task - it backs up files.

Tasker can change the very operation of the whole device.

Not sure where we get to providing free tech support. This place is chock full to the brim of free tech support. Why should Tasker be any different? It's why people come here. They have an issue and others have answers they're willing to give.

It's why AF exists! If we don't do this then what's our purpose in life?
    bberryhill0, davoid and SUroot like this.
  21. davoid

davoid Well-Known Member

I don't know whether you read my comment two posts above yours, but I did suggest a generic forum dedicated to automation through created profiles, which in that case wouldn't have to be limited to a single specific app.

And as to the issue of providing free tech support, what is wrong with that?

If it's provided free by the contributors to the forum, where is the problem?

Isn't support one of the main purposes of these forums.
  22. meissen

meissen Active Member

I think it'd be great - I just loaded Tasker last night and spent a few hours setting up some automation profiles using the tutorials on this site - The Nonsense Monster
  23. dautley

An Angry Birds Seasons sub-forum would be much appreciated also, I can never seem to kill enough of those damn pigs!!
    Honestly, I don't use Tasker and could care less as long as more forums don't drag performance of the site down.
    If it would draw more people to here and make them spend more time on AF why not?:D
  24. SUroot

How much less could you care?
  25. dautley

Your a hoot SUroot, that's what you are! :rolleyes: