• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tasker - Google maps starts and stops GPS repeatedly

I just started using Tasker on my Droid X and have found it to be very useful. I have had a problem with a Profile that I built around Google Maps.

After reading about a GPS bug on Droid X (I believe the same issue happens with WiFi, but it not relevant here) I created a profile that turns on GPS when Maps is started and turns off GPS on exit. In order to verify the on/off tasks are being doing at the correct times, I added a popup to the end of the on/off tasks. If this worked as I thought it would, I should see the popup happen after launching Maps and I should also see it when Maps closes:

Start Maps -> GPS on -> popup -> [use Maps] -> close Maps -> GPS off -> popup

So after setting this profile up in Tasker and launching Maps, I see maps open and the GPS on popup appear, but after a few seconds, the GPS off popup appears. After a few seconds, the GPS on popup appears and the GPS off popup apear again. This repeats for as long as I have the Maps app open.

Maybe this has something to do with how Google Maps launches/works/exits, but I'm at a loss here. Does anyone have any ideas why this is happening?

Setting a cooldown value will prevent the profile from starting/stopping repeatedly, but it appears that the underlying problem is that Tasker is seeing Google Maps context go active/inactive repeatedly.

Your original explanation of the problem is in layman's terms, so it's hard to know exactly what you're doing in Tasker. Can you be more specific about what you're doing in Tasker, including contexts, enter task, exit task, whether this is your only profile?

Upvote 0
I have several profiles, but only one that pertains to Maps:

[context]
Google Maps

[entry task]
GPS Set On
Popup "GPS On"

[exit task]
GPS Set Off
Popup "GPS Off"

I also submitted this issue to the people at Tasker and they requested a log (sent this morning). I'll let everyone know what I get back and I'll try the cooldown as well to see if that helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones