tasker help

1. nitram22

nitram22 Member

I'm looking for help setting up tasker.

1. I would like to set up tasker to put my phone on silent (ringer and notifications) from 11pm to 8am. daily. However I do get called in to work on occasion, therefore I would like to set up my phone to ring when the caller ID matches my work number.

2. I have tasker set up for my morning alarm, since I work shift work I can't just set up my alarm to ring Mon-Fri, So I use the calender to set up the days that I need to get up in the morning.
    My question is: if I set up my phone to go on silent, like I described above will my alarm ring? or will the phone stay on silent?

If anyone would know how to set this up it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks

Advertisement
  2. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

Regarding question 2:

All of the individual volumes are controllable by tasker (notification, ringer, media, alarms...newer phones may tie notificationand ringer volume together)

If you use "silent", it does not affect media or alarms....you'll still hear them. So on silent you can sleep uninterrupted by ringer or notifications, with music playing on media if you like, and be woken by alarm

Yes, your alarm will still ring on silent
  3. nitram22

nitram22 Member

Thanks for the reply.

I have set it up now.
    My ringer volume goes to 0 at 11pm. until 8am
    My work alarm is set for 5:15 am on the chosen days, my alarm is my music player, which plays a chosen song.
    I turn off the alarm by turning my phone face down.
    no
    Now I need to know how to set Tasker to ring when a certain number calls me. e.g. work. I think I would do this with variables?
  4. electricpete

electricpete Well-Known Member

I think that's do-able.

Use a profile with two contexts:
    1 - Silent
    2 - State / Phone / Call ... Type: Incoming.... Number: (use magnifying glass to find the contact).

The action would be:
    Media / Play Ringtone.... Type: Ringer... Stream: Media (or alarm)

I like the idea of playing ringtone on media rather than disabling silent first because it should get the tone ringing faster. (If the profile is slow to ring you might not pick up til the caller has hung up).

Adding silent means the profile won't do anything unless the phone is already on silent. If that wasn't present, you might get two ringtones played at roughly the same time during a call.... would be annoying.

Now that I think about it, would the ringtone keep playing when you answer the call? It might. If that's the case, maybe the action should be to turn off silent instead. I haven't tried any of this... you'll have to try it out for yourself and see what works
  5. nitram22

nitram22 Member

Thanks again.

Using the media player works for the alarm but not for the ringer, as you said it keeps ringing when I answer the phone.

So I tried something else: (will upload pics shortly.) It works sometimes, but I think I 'm having issues when the phone is in sleep mode. Gonna keep trying different scenarios.
  6. XplosiV

XplosiV Master X is Watching You VIP Member

I take it you don't have a Samsung phone? If you did you could just use blocking mode ;)
  7. nitram22

nitram22 Member

I have a Samsung SII
  8. D-U-R-X

D-U-R-X turbo drinker Moderator

9. nitram22

nitram22 Member

I've tried this method,
    http://tasker.wikidot.com/sleepmode

I followed the instructions as best I could and I think I did it right, but does not work.

Can someone explain how to download and import into Tasker. When I go on the link I get a sequence of coding, which i assume is what it should be, but I don't know how to get it to work with tasker.

Thanks
  10. pcmxa

pcmxa Well-Known Member

Click and hold the link in the wiki. It will pop up options. Select open with tasker. In tasker. Hold down the task or profile tab when you release it will give you an option to import.

Just got tasker today seeing it up myself.
  11. nitram22

nitram22 Member

Ok, downloaded this profile and installed it on tasker.

http://tasker.wikidot.com/sleepmode

It works as far as the phone goes on silent mode, (ringer) not sure about notifications. The silent Icon comes on when I plug it in the wall ( speaker with a line through it).

Now I also installed The "Sleep Mode Emergency Calls" profile. For testing purposes I put my home number in the profile. When I call my phone the Icon for silent mode dissapears, but I get no sound, no ringer.????
  12. pcmxa

pcmxa Well-Known Member

Yeah. I am having the same issue. It puts the ringer volume back to where it was before sleep mode, but the incoming call still make no sound. Which kinds defeats the purpose.

Edit: OK, I'm stumped with this, but I have found a work around. For whatever reason it seems if the ringer is set not to ring, either by silent mode being on or by the dinner being set to 0 volume before a call comes in, the tasker context phone ringing doesn't allow changing it while the call is ongoing (either ringing or answered). So the first call ring is silent even though silent mode is off our the ringer is turned on.

What I have done, and it is a cludge, is to add a MRI volume and media play action and had that play my default ring tone for people on my white list. It works but picks up where it left off when the call is ended so I had to add a media so on there too for 30 seconds. Would be better if I could figure out a way to do a media stop action attaching it to the phone being answered (or even better if the call just rang through correctly) but it works.