• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Tasker" is a BEAST! (in a good way)

So, here's my issue. I'm trying to configure tasker to automatically turn on wifi when I am in range of my home router, and turn it off when I'm out of range.

It turns on automatically, but it doesn't seem to turn off on it's on. Any suggestions? I do have an exit task set up to turn wifi off.

I am having trouble doing the same thing.

I had this issue with Location contexts. What worked for me was making sure I de-toggled the GPS on the map page, i.e. have Net showing green and GPS not.

Worth a try!

Rob

This type of profile usually requires some patience on deactivation. Tasker is built such that you need two consecutive Wifi scans that don't turn up your Wifi AP before the profile is deactivated (and, if you have "turn on wifi" as an enter task, your wifi turned off). Assuming you have this set up as a "Wifi Near" context - with "Toggle Wifi" checked! - and haven't changed any of the default check intervals, Tasker will scan available Wifi APs every 2 minutes if your phone is awake...every 10 if it's asleep. This means that it may take as long as 20 minutes for Tasker to deactivate your profile.

Hope this helps!

Upvote 0
Appleaj has answered for the first and last. For the 50% I would set up a pseduo-default time context from 0001 to 2359 (a cool tip I learned from Uncle Mike!). Or have an Exit Task to do the same thing.

Rob

Sorry, I stated it assuming it could be applied to each instance, but just in case it's not clear, for the 50% brightness I'd do what's below.

New State -> Battery Level -> 21-99
+ to add action -> Display -> Display Brightness -> 127 or 128

Upvote 0
This type of profile usually requires some patience on deactivation. Tasker is built such that you need two consecutive Wifi scans that don't turn up your Wifi AP before the profile is deactivated (and, if you have "turn on wifi" as an enter task, your wifi turned off). Assuming you have this set up as a "Wifi Near" context - with "Toggle Wifi" checked! - and haven't changed any of the default check intervals, Tasker will scan available Wifi APs every 2 minutes if your phone is awake...every 10 if it's asleep. This means that it may take as long as 20 minutes for Tasker to deactivate your profile.

Hope this helps!

Yeah it was pointless for me to have such a profile. It used just as much battery life switching wifi on and off to check and see if it was in range as it did to just leave wifi on.

Solution? Net location instead. When within 2km of my home, Wifi turns on. Problem solved :D

Upvote 0
Ok guys. Here is some advice to those of you having issues with setting up a "Silent when I'm sleeping" type profile, that's based on Time of day and whether or not the phone is plugged in.

I did some research on the Tasker forums, and it seems the issue we're having is common, and will be fixed at some point in the future. There is a problem with time-based contexts when the phone is asleep.

IN THE MEAN TIME, here is the solution. Increase the time period context portion of the profile so that you always plug your phone into the charger AFTER the time period context starts.

So for example, I changed my contexts to Power > Any, and Time 21:00-6:00. I never go to sleep that early, so the time portion of the profile will always have started before I plug my phone into the charger. When you plug your phone in, it briefly wakes the phone, and the profile activates. I tested it a couple times last night and it's working flawlessly.

Upvote 0

Hope this helps!

I can't even get it to turn on. Can someone please post a step by step for this?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Hi,

Does anybody know how could I solve this problem?

I own a Motorola Droid, and setup my exchange work account on it.
So Exchange applied this boring policy and now, everytime the screen goes off it password protect the phone with 6-digit alphanumeirc password.

I've found a way to disable keyguard for 10 minutes using tasker, works really nice, but...it disables the "slide to unlock" screen aswell, and sometimes when the phone is in my pocket some button is pressed and when I get it from the pocket touching the screen mess things up (open apps, move icons, etc).

I'd like to: Keep the "slide to unlock" screen and bypass alphanumeric password (not forever, but at least each 10 minutes). How can I do that usin tasker? Tried several ways with no success.

I had an idea: Keep keyguard on (with slide to unlock and password protected), but after i slide the button to unlock the phone then tasker would type my password automatically. But I couldn't find how to do that!

Could you please help me?

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Hello all, trying to get some profiles setup but they dont seem to be working with variables.

I want certain actions done when I get to work.

Here are the steps I took.

New
Day
Highlighted m,t,w,t,f
+ Notification Volume Level 0
if %TIME>09:00
+Ringer Volume Level 0
if %TIME>09:00
etc etc

Basically I want my phone to go to silent and turn off bluetooth 9-5. Am I going about this wrong?

Edit: Nevermind I think I figured it out, here is a copy/paste if anyone wants to know:
This step-through will show you how to change an existing profile and use profiles
with more than one context.
The goal is to change the profile from the previous tutorial so that
the brightness is only set at a particular time of day. Also, we want an
alert when the brightness is returned to normal.
To get started,
Long-Click on the icon for the profile you made in the previous Step-Through.
You see a list of options divided into Context actions, which affect the action
you just clicked on, and Profile which affect the whole profile (i.e. the contexts
and tasks as a whole).
Click Add.
Each profile can only have one of each type of context, so you are shown a list
of context types which does not include App.
// Click Time//
This is the Time Edit dialog. The top dial is the time the context starts at. If it is deselected,
the time starts at midnight. The bottom dial is the time the context ends. If it is deselected,
the context ends at the following midnight.
Set the top dial to 09:00 and the bottom dial to 19:00.
Click Done.

Upvote 0
things i have done with tasker

Locate lost phone

• New event -> Received SMS, Message = "Find phone"

1. GPS Set On
  2. Wait 10 seconds (not sure if this is needed)
  3. Send SMS: Number = %SMSRF, Message = "Phone coordinates: %LOC, Accuracy = %LOA meters, GPS is %GPS"
Work Setting with time clock punch-in

• New Location -> set to work address

1. set ringser off/vibrate only, etc
  2. Write file: file = "/timeclock.csv", Text = "%Date, %Time, Arrived"
when leaving work change to "%Date, %Time, Left"

Would like to find way to automatically email this csv file each week. still haven't tried that yet. Any thoughts?

Upvote 0
hey guys, i'm having issues getting tasker to turn mobile data on/off. how is everyone accomplishing this? i created a task to turn gps and mobile data on when foursquare is executed.

i got the error "Error: APNDroid not installed" (GPS toggle worked fine) so i searched for an installed APNDroid, I don't get the error, but mobile data does not turn on or off with tasker. It looks like mobile data is classified as an "action" as opposed to a "setting". Do I need to change settings in APNDroid?

thanks!

Upvote 0
I have a few profiles set up...

-10pm to 6am if the phone is plugged in, the phone goes to silent
-6am to 10pm the phone is on regular volume.
-if I am within 3km of work, my phone goes to vibrate..
-From 10pm to 6am, If my phone is silent, certain pre-arranged phone calls will ring through.. (Family, work)

-Damien

Okay, maybe I am missing something, but how does the phone know your within 3km of work? Does your GPS run 24/7? Mine is on, but only "activates" when I open up Foursquare or Google Maps, then goes off when app is closed?

This is one of the reasons I do not use location based apps that know your close to target to pick up toilet paper.

Maybe I am missing something, but would love to not have GPS on 24/7 draining my battery and start using Location Base Service apps.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Upvote 0
Okay, maybe I am missing something, but how does the phone know your within 3km of work? Does your GPS run 24/7? Mine is on, but only "activates" when I open up Foursquare or Google Maps, then goes off when app is closed?

This is one of the reasons I do not use location based apps that know your close to target to pick up toilet paper.

Maybe I am missing something, but would love to not have GPS on 24/7 draining my battery and start using Location Base Service apps.

Can anyone enlighten me?

I'm also learning how to figure this out. I have set up my tasker so that when I open up maps it enables gps. When I close out of maps the gps disables. However, the identical profile does not work for gps when I apply the same settings to the navigation app. I have tried using gps on and gps toggle. This is extremely frustrating. Any ideas? I would love to just click the navigation button without going through the redudant "turn on the gps process" every time I try to navigate somewhere. Thanks guys.

Upvote 0
I'm also learning how to figure this out. I have set up my tasker so that when I open up maps it enables gps. When I close out of maps the gps disables. However, the identical profile does not work for gps when I apply the same settings to the navigation app. I have tried using gps on and gps toggle. This is extremely frustrating. Any ideas? I would love to just click the navigation button without going through the redudant "turn on the gps process" every time I try to navigate somewhere. Thanks guys.

New State -> Application -> Maps
+ to add action -> Misc -> GPS -> Set On

Then create an exit task doing the same thing, but GPS -> Set Off

Upvote 0

Try not reapplying it to the Nav. Not sure if you're using a different Nav than the default program, but I just have the tasker set up to turn on the gps when I open maps. I don't need to set anything to turn off the gps, it just disables the gps once maps is exited. When I use the Nav program, it invokes the maps triggering the gps profile to become active. And then when I'm done with Nav, it exits maps thus deactivating the gps.

Upvote 0
things i have done with tasker

Locate lost phone

• New event -> Received SMS, Message = "Find phone"

1. GPS Set On
  2. Wait 10 seconds (not sure if this is needed)
  3. Send SMS: Number = %SMSRF, Message = "Phone coordinates: %LOC, Accuracy = %LOA meters, GPS is %GPS"

Check out this one:
Locatephone - Tasker Wiki

It's a bit better than your settings because it'll actually send you a link that you can open up with google maps on another smart phone.

Reactions: redred
Upvote 0
I am having a couple of issues and wanted to see if anyone else has run into this...

1. I am not sure if this one is caused by Tasker or not. But, it is the only app I have installed recently and therefore makes me think it is Tasker related. For some reason a couple of nights ago I plugged my phone into the computer and my phone freaked out, launched a couple of apps, all related to Tasker, and cycled through my tasker profiles. It launched SportsTap, Maps, cycled through my Work profile, and played a few random sound files. When I checked everything, all my notification sounds had been changed. Notifications, email, alarms, all changed to custom files saved on the SDCard, but it seemed pretty random. I have no idea what caused this, but it seems to have happened again, resetting my notification sounds. Anyone know what is causing this?
  2. I have a task to turn the GPS on when I enter Maps. For some reason it doesn't seem to work very often. Then when I go into Tasker it gives me the option to kill that task, like it is currently running. I think it is getting hung up on something. The way I have it set I get a popup asking my if I want to turn GPS on. Do I need to get rid of that?
  3. Again, I am not sure if this is Tasker related, but when I pick up my phone when the alarm goes off, it automatically snoozes. I do not press anything, but it seems like the movement is snoozing my alarm.
Can anyone help with these?

Upvote 0
hey guys, i'm having issues getting tasker to turn mobile data on/off. how is everyone accomplishing this? i created a task to turn gps and mobile data on when foursquare is executed.

i got the error "Error: APNDroid not installed" (GPS toggle worked fine) so i searched for an installed APNDroid, I don't get the error, but mobile data does not turn on or off with tasker. It looks like mobile data is classified as an "action" as opposed to a "setting". Do I need to change settings in APNDroid?

thanks!

Mobile data toggle only works for GSM devices. It does not support CDMA devices.

Upvote 0
Sorta OT, sorta not.

New to Tasker. I can not download sample scripts. When I hit the dl link it simply brings up a new page with the script text. I read in the Lifehacker article that it should bring up a menu to select to select to open the link in Tasker. It does not.

My default browser is Xscope but I've also tried the stock internet brower. Both just open the page of text. I don't see anything in settings that would control this behavior.

How can I download the example scripts? Thanks.

Upvote 0
Sorta OT, sorta not.

New to Tasker. I can not download sample scripts. When I hit the dl link it simply brings up a new page with the script text. I read in the Lifehacker article that it should bring up a menu to select to select to open the link in Tasker. It does not.

My default browser is Xscope but I've also tried the stock internet brower. Both just open the page of text. I don't see anything in settings that would control this behavior.

How can I download the example scripts? Thanks.

Right click the link and select save target as or what ever the option is for your browser

Or you can copy and paste to a text file and save as .xml

Try the right click method first

Upvote 0

Can anyone enlighten me?

Anyone?

Upvote 0

Tasker has intervals of how often it checks the GPS. I believe the defaults are 120s when screen is on, 600s when screen is off. Between these intervals it is not "activating" GPS even if it is on.

I changed my defaults to be 120s when screen is on or off. any effects on battery life are small enough that I haven't noticed a difference between before I installed Tasker and now.

Reactions: AllezDada
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones