• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

"Tasker" is a BEAST! (in a good way)

Okay, maybe I am missing something, but how does the phone know your within 3km of work? Does your GPS run 24/7? Mine is on, but only "activates" when I open up Foursquare or Google Maps, then goes off when app is closed?

This is one of the reasons I do not use location based apps that know your close to target to pick up toilet paper.

Maybe I am missing something, but would love to not have GPS on 24/7 draining my battery and start using Location Base Service apps.

Can anyone enlighten me?
If you use a location context but GPS is not on, it uses your network location to determine location. That's why they recommend using a large radius unless you explicitly turn on GPS. All of the scan frequencies are defined in the Tasker settings if you are worried about battery life.

Upvote 0
New State -> Application -> Maps
+ to add action -> Misc -> GPS -> Set On

Then create an exit task doing the same thing, but GPS -> Set Off
You don't need to use the exit task. If you run the program without the exit task, GPS will revert to whatever settings it had before the task. Otherwise your GPS will always be off following the task. In most cases it wouldn't matter, but I tend to let these release control rather than explicitly undoing the changes.

Upvote 0
Tasker has intervals of how often it checks the GPS. I believe the defaults are 120s when screen is on, 600s when screen is off. Between these intervals it is not "activating" GPS even if it is on.

I changed my defaults to be 120s when screen is on or off. any effects on battery life are small enough that I haven't noticed a difference between before I installed Tasker and now.

Thanks for pointing this out. I'm trying to have my bluetooth on when I'm not at home or work (ie mostly in the car) using network location rather than GPS. It had seemed like it took forever for Tasker to check my location (seemed much longer than 600 seconds), so now I've changed the setting to 120s. Hopefully this will help.

Incidentally, you are using GPS rather than network location? Do you leave in on all the time? How much battery do you have left at the end of the day?

Upvote 0
If you use a location context but GPS is not on, it uses your network location to determine location. That's why they recommend using a large radius unless you explicitly turn on GPS. All of the scan frequencies are defined in the Tasker settings if you are worried about battery life.

Tasker has intervals of how often it checks the GPS. I believe the defaults are 120s when screen is on, 600s when screen is off. Between these intervals it is not "activating" GPS even if it is on.

I changed my defaults to be 120s when screen is on or off. any effects on battery life are small enough that I haven't noticed a difference between before I installed Tasker and now.

Thanks Guys.

Upvote 0
Maybe someone in here can help me with this:

I want to create a widget that turns airplane mode on but toggles it every fifteen minutes so I still receive texts. The ides is that I click this widget before I go to sleep, airplane mode turns on to save battery life, but texts and voicemails still come through every 15 minutes. Then, I click the widget when I get up, and it turns airplane mode off.

I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do this. I'm pretty sure I would have to have the widget toggle a variable, with that variable being the setting for the tasks that turn off/toggle airplane mode.

How would I get the widget to change if I click it?

Upvote 0
If i download and buy Tasker, load up a new ROM without backing Tasker up in titanium backup, can I re-download it from the market? How does the market know I already purchased it?

Is it tied to my Gmail? The reason I ask is because the latest Froyo builds identify the phone as a N1 instead of a DInc in the market, which would make the market think its a new phone and haven't purchased the app...? (Does that make sense)

This is the only reason I never bought an app from the market. I'm afraid I won't be able to re-download if after loading a new ROM.

Upvote 0
If i download and buy Tasker, load up a new ROM without backing Tasker up in titanium backup, can I re-download it from the market? How does the market know I already purchased it?

Is it tied to my Gmail? The reason I ask is because the latest Froyo builds identify the phone as a N1 instead of a DInc in the market, which would make the market think its a new phone and haven't purchased the app...? (Does that make sense)

This is the only reason I never bought an app from the market. I'm afraid I won't be able to re-download if after loading a new ROM.

Pretty sure it's tied to the gmail account and that it's an android device. Shouldn't be a problem dude!

Reactions: RootDaDuck
Upvote 0
Some of the things I have done:

When bluetooth connected to my car, my screen stays on, texts are read to me, and an auto text gets sent as a response stating that I'm driving and will respond when safe.

At night, phone goes silent except for certain callers, in which case the volume goes up (for emergencies)

GPS turns on for certain apps

Keygaurd turns off if plugged in to power or headphones

When plugged in to headphones, a menu with apps I listen to pop up

Find Car widget

Work days/times phone goes to silent mode

Battery full notification.

Awesome app. 1 question pertaining to the read aloud texts. I know there is a way to have it read the name of the texter instead of the number it came from. I know I have to program each number seperately, and Im ok with that... anyone know how to do that?

Also, is there a way to turn certain profiles? I am assuming that the on/off switch is for every profile in tasker. If I am on vacation, I dont want my work profile to launch.

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
Mobile data toggle only works for GSM devices. It does not support CDMA devices.

I did find this which might help you.

Tasker can do this, but not by itself, just like with APNDroid. You need a program called JuiceDefender, which will be able to disable your data no matter what type of phone you have. Tasker comes in by being able to send an action intent to JuiceDefender telling it to enable or disable data, which you can control using contexts just as normal. When you have both programs installed and updated to the latest versions (UltimateJuice is not required), use the Action Intent
command in Tasker (found in the Misc category).

In the action field, put: com.latedroid.juicedefender.action.DISABLE_APN (or ENABLE_APN)
Set the category to None
Set your first extra to tag:Tasker
And the second to reply:true

Executing this command will get JuiceDefender to turn off or on data on command. I put this in a Task and use Perform Task to call it when I need it; it works just as well as APNDroid used to. Let me know if this works for you.

Source: Tasker, Mobile Data, and CDMA Phones - Any Solutions? - Tasker | Google Groups

Upvote 0
This doesn't work for me. What are the contexts that enable this? The set I used was Orientation = Face up, Application = phone. No go.

@bostontom - you're obviously having better luck. what contexts are in your profile for this?

I do the same thing, but with my phone face down. Make sure that when you do the orientation, the screen is currently on. After it registers and switches to the correct profile, it will stay.

Upvote 0
I realize that this isn't the best forum for this question so if anyone can point me elsewhere, I would appreciate it.

My question:
I want to create a widget that will pop up a dialog asking me to confirm the next action, then to call one of my contacts. Preferably, I'd like for it to also use the contact's picture for the icon.

I use Google Voice so I can not use the Call Confirm app. I thought maybe I could duplicate that with Tasker.

Upvote 0
I do the same thing, but with my phone face down. Make sure that when you do the orientation, the screen is currently on. After it registers and switches to the correct profile, it will stay.

@appleaj -

thanks. my problem was over-complicating things.

i did successfully use two dedicated tasks and a variable to provide a context for "phone is on." then, i realized speakerphone=on only works when the phone is on.

so, the answer is just to make orientation the only context. that's probably what you and bostontom were doing in the first place!

speakerphone did go on once at the wrong time. if that keeps happening, i'll re-create the additional two tasks. (they set a variable and trigger on "phone off-hook" and "phone idle" events; the variable state becomes an additional context)

Upvote 0
I love this app, but it really kills my battery. It uses more battery than anything else besides Cell Standby and Phone Idle. Does anyone else seem to be having this problem? Am I doing something wrong?

I've never noticed any battery strain from Tasker, it's actually helped since I use it to adjust things like the brightness for certain things and have a low battery profile. It's never shown up in the "Battery use" section.

Upvote 0
I've never noticed any battery strain from Tasker, it's actually helped since I use it to adjust things like the brightness for certain things and have a low battery profile. It's never shown up in the "Battery use" section.
Do you run it in the foreground or the background? I've been running it in the foreground and I wonder if that makes a difference. Maybe I'll try it in the background and see what happens.

Upvote 0
I realize that this isn't the best forum for this question so if anyone can point me elsewhere, I would appreciate it.

My question:
I want to create a widget that will pop up a dialog asking me to confirm the next action, then to call one of my contacts. Preferably, I'd like for it to also use the contact's picture for the icon.

I use Google Voice so I can not use the Call Confirm app. I thought maybe I could duplicate that with Tasker.

Never used Google voice, so I use Call confirm to do that.

I think you might be able to do what you said.

I have created a widget called Parents. It opens up a menu, and then I choose to call their house, call my Dad's cell, call my Mom's cell, Text me Dad, or Text my mom. Once I choose, then without Call confirm it does it, with Call confirm it asks me to confirm it. So without Call confirm, I still have to hit the widget, and then make a selection from there.

Not sure if that solves your question, but at any rate I found that another good application for Tasker.

I have an EVO with HTC sense, and the favorite widget only lets me do a default action for each contact. This opens a menu for that contact, and lets me do whatever I want.

It isn't limited to one contact per widget either.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones