• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

TASKER looks like it kills your battery life.

For those following this thread: the latest stable Tasker has a Cell Near state, which basically says "I can see any one of these cell towers". It is superefficient and requires no radius.

It's like Wifi Near only with cell towers. I love it.
I've been waiting for this since I first got Tasker.

I've still been using Setting Profile (full version here) alongside Tasker because SP uses cell tower-based location. It's a great application, but I might move to Tasker-only now.

Upvote 0
GPS is on, its not using battery unless i actually am using an app

I actually didnt know that and have been toggling my GPS off by way of the PowerBar widget. I only turn it on maybe once a day when i need navigation. I made a mental note that any time i need navigation, i must first hit the toggle to turn on gps lol

So your saying if i left it on all day, its actually not used unless i open an app that invokes it?

If that's the case i can turn it on and clean up some real estate on my home screen by getting rid of the power bar lol

Upvote 0
I use Tasker, and usually it doesn't even show up in my Battery stats. In order to see what it's using, I have to use some other tool (I use System Panel). Even in those cases, it is extremely low.

I only have one location based profile though. The others are based on something else (time of day, states, variables, etc...).

I swear by it because it gives me a way to customize my phones behavior in some situations... not just turn off WiFi. If all you want is a program to turn off WiFi when you leave a certain area, then Tasker is probably overkill anyway. It's complicated for a non-technical user to grasp and appreciate. I played around with "Setting Profiles" (by probeez), and it looks pretty straight forward (comparatively speaking). Though I can't attest to how well it works.

Upvote 0
I've been waiting for this since I first got Tasker.

I've still been using Setting Profile (full version here) alongside Tasker because SP uses cell tower-based location. It's a great application, but I might move to Tasker-only now.

Both have their advantages. I use Setting Profiles to do things based on time more than location. I'm in church at the same time every week so Setting Profiles is easier for me to tweak stuff. Could I do the same thing in Tasker? Sure, but it would take more time to tweak. I use Tasker for event specific things like popping up a list of audio players when I plug in my headphones or firing up navigation when I get in the car.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones