• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Tasker using Text to Speech to tell things

maximutan

Lurker
Jul 10, 2016
Hey there,
I had a cool idea yesterday what could be possible with tasker. I thought of a text-to-speech system reading things like "Hey, Maxim! It's 20° right now outside on the 20.10.2016." I didn't really find any solution to get the information and let the text-to-speech programme read it. So does anybody has any clue about something like that?

Welcome to Android Forums.

I have a Turbo 2 and don't use Tasker for this. I use the Moto app (replacement for OK Google Now) and mine is trained to respond to "OK Turbo".

I simply say "OK Turbo weather" and it tells me the weather and temperature.

"OK Turbo what's the weather outside" tells me just the temperature.

I do use Tasker to read incoming text messages to me. This is very handy in the car. I hear the message and if it is important I park the car and respond.

... Thom

Upvote 0
I agree, you can get spoken results with
Ok Google, what's the weather today
Ok Google, what's the weather tomorrow

But avoid: ok Google what's the weather forecast...It brings up visual results rather than spoken results (which makes sense...It's more info)

If you want to do it with Tasker, saying the text is the easy part (tasker SAY command). Getting the weather info into tasker could be tougher.

Maybe you could use http get although I don't know much about that.

You could use ifttt recipe to send you the forecast by sms with keyword that could be recognized and acted on (telling you the weather) by tasker. The trigger could be a ifttt do button or an sms from tasker based on time schedule or condition (example arriving home). None of the above requires ifttt app installed on your phone. You can do a lot with ifttt account (set up for free on the web) without ever installing the ifttt app. With the app installed you can do even more but the permissions are imo too invasive.

Reactions: danacochran54
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones