1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Tasker - Using the Button: Long Search event

Last Updated:

1. Mizarc

Mizarc New Member This Topic's Starter

I'm trying to use Tasker on my Droid X to make a popup window with widgets for GPS and WiFi when I long-press my search button. There's an event in Tasker called Button: Long Search.

Here's the problem, when I long-press Search, it just opens the voice search feature, not the popup that I want.

In the Tasker tooltip it says,
    "In order for this event to work, Tasker's Search Helper should be selected as the activity to handle the press when Android shows the relevent dialog."

HUH? I can't find any options at all that allow me to change what the default is for long-pressing the Search button. I've searched far and wide, scoured the forums on many sites, and I can't seem to find anything that discusses this. Am I really the only person that ever tried to use this feature? Somehow I doubt it.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Advertisement
  2. NZtechfreak

NZtechfreak Well-Known Member

Just took a look at this myself, unfortunately I don't know if I can be of much help, since I don't have a search key per se (Galaxy S, long press the menu key opens search). Tried looking around at the Tasker website, nothing there, google is similarly unhelpful.

3. UncleMike

UncleMike Well-Known Member

In conjunction with creating a profile with the proper context, you may have to clear the defaults for the current app that loads in response to a long press on the search key - probably Voice Search. Once you've done that, the next time you long-press search, Android should present you with a list of apps to choose from, including Tasker's Search Helper.

4. kevin@teslacoilsw

kevin@teslacoilsw VIP Member VIP Member

Motorola gimped the long-press of search on the Droid X and Droid 2 (it's hard coded for Voice Search on those devices). If you're rooted you can use my app HomeSmack to restore the intended, standard-Android, behavior.

HomeSmack - Android app on AppBrain

5. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Well-Known Member

I was just about to post this. I use this app and I can confirm it worked/works for me on stock, ApeX, and rubiX ROMs :D

6. Mizarc

Mizarc New Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm basically out of luck unless I root my phone. I guess I'll have to look into the pros & cons of doing that now.

Thanks for the help!

7. adammsu

adammsu Well-Known Member

On my x, it doesn't work, I still get voice search app popping every time