1. Introducing Channels - a new way to chat with other Android users!
    Dismiss Notice

Tasker vs Setting Profiles

Last Updated:

1. JoeyJoeJo

JoeyJoeJo Member This Topic's Starter

Tried Locale because loads of articles rave about it but it only lasted an hour, 10 bucks is way too pricey for the control offered and by the time you get the plugins, would be extortionate.

So looking at Setting Profiles and Tasker, what are peoples thoughts on one vs the other? I'd like to get some opinions before devoting time to creating profiles.

My needs are pretty simple-

• If at home connect to home wifi, screen timeout to 10 mins, ringer and notifications on midway
    • if not at home, wifi off, 2 mins timeout, vibrate notifications, low ringer.
    • 2200-0530 - airplane mode on, wifi off, brighness down, media volume to lowest.
    • 0630-0900, 1200-1400, 1730-1930 - bluetooth on, off at all other times
    • Alarms active and mid volume at all times

So, couple of location profiles, couple of timed, potential overlap so need logical priorities to be applied.

Any thoughts on best fit for my needs..?

Advertisement
  2. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

Setting profiles will do all this. It gets reviews saying its better than locale. I have the full version, and once they incorporate GPS instead of cell triangulation, it will be perfect!

3. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

Well, Setting Profiles is $4 in the Market, and according to the Tasker homepage, Tasker should hit the Market at around $4 too. So, for me it just comes down to features which I believe is Tasker.

And, Tasker's latest beta will function free to end May which is plenty of time for those HTC & Sprint Developers to get off their (blanks) and get the official 2.1 upgrade released so that my first Eclair Market purchase will be Tasker!

4. JoeyJoeJo

Yeah, Tasker looks like it has more raw options but imho, SP has a neater interface and if it can do what I need in a less complex manner, might be the way to go. That's why I'm just looking for people who've maybe done the same evaluation already and have an opinion....

5. RyanB

RyanB Guest

Timerrific allows you to set those types of controls for your phone, but it only uses a schedule (hence the name) and doesn't work by gps. Personally, I find it quite useful.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

6. Kingken

Kingken New Member

setting profiles work best for me...

7. hunta

hunta Well-Known Member

I had Setting Profiles but looked into alternatives when I started to suspect it wasn't switching reliably, especially with location-based profiles. I came across Tasker and haven't looked back - it just does so much more. You'll have your basic rules set up in minutes, then it'll keep you entertained for a couple of days while you explore everything else it can do. For example, just a small minor thing but it provides a simple way to replace the name or icon of an application on your home screen.

When it comes out of beta I'll be happy to pay the $4 for it. Until then you have nothing to lose.

8. negreenfield

negreenfield Well-Known Member

The only problem I have with Setting Profiles is occasionally it won't switch my profile based on location and I can't quite figure out if it's the application, the phone, or because cell towers positioning is probelematic. I'll give the program the benefit of the doubt for now but it would be nice if this was more reliable regardless. But 95% of the time it works perfectly.

9. TopShelf10

TopShelf10 Well-Known Member

After a very brief view of Tasker homepage it does look like its going to be very nice.....but i am perfectly content with Setting Profiles in the meantime

10. JoeyJoeJo

Tried SP last night.

I have a "home" profile that runs based on wifi ap and then a nightime profile that switches everything off. Nighttime activated and turned everything off but when it exited nightime, it turned off airplane but it didn't restore the wifi.

Tried a few simple things based on times that worked ok but guess I need to look at the logic deeper.

Will try Tasker later in the week.
    Thanks for the inputs.

11. ttaylor0024

ttaylor0024 Well-Known Member

12. DaWeav

DaWeav Well-Known Member

UPDATE: In Tasker's latest beta release, the Profiles based on WiFi near and Calendar entries now work. So it looks like Tasker is getting closer and closer to the market.

13. kjarrett

kjarrett Well-Known Member

Currently using Setting Profiles and am reasonably happy with it. Works perfectly most of the time. Just wondering if Tasker is a better choice, and if anyone has more recent experience. Thanks! -kj-

14. Parafly9

Parafly9 Active Member

Do either Tasker or Setting Profiles work with NFC tags yet?

15. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Well-Known Member

Nfc task launcher can fire Tasker tasks if that helps

16. jennyfur

jennyfur Active Member

I'm a long time Setting Profiles user (practically consider it the most important app on my phone!), but this is making me seriously consider switching. I already use NFC Task Launcher and it would be great if my tags could launch profiles.