taskiller or no taskiller?General

Last Updated:

1. redshark313

redshark313 Active Member This Topic's Starter

After reading the thread on battery life I noticed that some people mentioned that they don't use a taskiller, therefore I thought I would start a thread on it.

I have been using "advanced taskiller", many must use it since it appears in the market as a top download, I felt that it was defo using power to kill apps but in the long run was proabably saving me battery (although, hard to prove) but I read that someone mentioned that with 2.2 you shouldn't need a taskiller. Interesting.

I have just removed taskiller and plan to monitor how my DHD gets on without it. I'd be very interested to hear what other peoples experiences are with/without one?

Advertisement
  2. JohnM109R

JohnM109R Active Member

You Don't NEED it Period...

3. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Causes more problems than it fixes.
    Froyo is designed to deal with this.
    Remember, there are 100s of Android devices out there, some benefit from app killers as they have an out dated OS, but not the DHD.

4. Bnice

Bnice Guest

5. arlrb

arlrb Well-Known Member

Simples

6. AussieAndroid

AussieAndroid Well-Known Member

I'm not 100% sold on the idea Android doesn't need a task killer of some sort.

My Hero and Legend (both running 2.1) feel better for longer with a task killer running. I am VERY selective as to what apps I automatically kill though.

Already, my Desire HD has twice now needed apps to be killed. Fair enough, I could have gone through to Manage Applications to kill them, but I find an app makes things easier sometimes.

My mobile banking stops working after a while, and I have to kill the Internet app to get it to work again. Also, I tried opening a video which froze the stock media player. When I eventually got back to the homescreen, the phone was running slow as hell. Killed the gallery app and all was well again.

7. EddyOS

EddyOS Well-Known Member

These are apps causing the problems and it needs to be fed back to the developer. Android, if an app is written correctly, does NOT need a TK

8. MSPreacher

MSPreacher Well-Known Member

But more often than not, apps aren't written perfectly, so there is a use for app killers, as some people clearly attest to. Not everyone has that need, but for those who do, I'm sure they appreciate having a TK.

9. Xyro

Xyro 4 8 15 16 23 42 Moderator

I always used Autokiller, which aims to keep more RAM free (although in a slightly different way) when I had 2.1 on my Hero. Froyo seems to be far better in that department and no form of task managing is needed any more.

10. redshark313

redshark313 Active Member This Topic's Starter

Ok, I will let Froyo do what it likes without a taskiller installer.

Thanks for everyone's comments - much appreciated.