Tasks and Notes

1. mike@mxhi.com

mike@mxhi.com New Member

I have not found an installed app that does Notes or Tasks. I am coming from a Blackberry running Outlook 2007 on a Microsoft Exchange Server and I have lots of both Tasks and Notes and I need to be able to sync. There some in the apps store, but none that sync to Outlook, just ones that sync to GMail.

Terrible choice on Google's part. Even the iTouch and iPhone sync to Outlook. If I can't solve this I will have return my Droid and go back to my BlackBerry.

Advertisement
  2. pittsy

pittsy Member

I use an app just called notes, I dont sync with outlook though
  3. spectrrr

spectrrr Well-Known Member

If you are willing to give up Outlook and join folks in the cloud, Remember the Milk just released an Android app (havnt tried it yet) that i'm pretty excited about. Their web service is pretty darned nice.
  4. billd

billd Well-Known Member

There are several free note/task apps in the Android Market. I haven't tried them yet, but there are several to try.
  5. jeffyablon

jeffyablon New Member

If you log into your Exchange account using the Android browser via Outlook Web Access, you can get at Notes and Tasks.

I know, that's not a great answer as it forces you to use an extra step/program. On the other hand, since you're already using both Corporate Calendar and Mail, it's not as though you were running from one unified place anyway.

Another thought is that since Outlook views all folders as more or less the same thing you *might* be able to put your tasks and notes folders in your email folders; then, they should sync right inside Mail (NOTE: that one is a theory; I have not tested it).

And I agree; Google did a lousy job on this.

Jeff Yablon
    President & CEO
    <a href="Answer Guy Computer Support, Business Consulting, Coaching, Management">Answer Guy and Virtual VIP Computer Support, Business Change Coaching and Virtual Assistant Services</a>
  6. mike@mxhi.com

mike@mxhi.com New Member

Thanks for your reply. :) Unfortunately, I took back my Droid back to Verizon today due many issues including: No email signature, no forwarding of email attachments, no ablility to copy text out of an email to paste somewhere else. Also, no matter how much I kept turning things off (GPS, WiFi, and apps) I never made it thru a day on the battery. :(
  7. gizbug

gizbug Well-Known Member

8. michaelk

michaelk Well-Known Member

tasks is a screw up on googles part, but there is NO WAY TO GET NOTES off an exchange server without a 3rd party server like blackberry or good mobile messaging or some always on add-in to outlook. The 3rd party servers cost $$$/user and the other things require your computer to be on all the time. For whatever reason MS doesn't include notes in exchange activesync. MS is a bunch of idiots. From what i can search they wont even include the ability in exchange 2010 so MS just decided notes are unimportant for whatever reason.

if you want tasks (and an alltogether better implementation of exchange activesync then the built in kludge) then try touchdown in the market. Instead of using the corporate emal and calendar apps you would use touchdown (which also does tasks). Currently it also does it's own contacts although they are working on a version for the droid and android 2.0 to sync it's contacts into the native address book (sort of like facebook.) there's a new beta version for the droid with the contact sync like every day or 2, still a little too rough for me to use during the week, but I'm thinking by the end of thanksgiving weekend it should be usable.

Still trying to figure out what to do for notes- at the moment I'm kind of just using tasks for that too- not ideal but i prefer to sync OTA with my exchange server.
  9. kaifire

kaifire New Member

Have you given Astrid a try? It syncs with RememberTheMilk.com for free. So you don't have to pay the $25 subscription for the pro version.
  10. oceanlight

oceanlight Well-Known Member

i use touchdown, and i see options to sync both tasks and notes. i have not tested it as i don't use either, but i have no reason to believe it wouldn't work. everything else works fine.
  11. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

Astrid is the way to go.
  12. msatterlee

msatterlee New Member

I found a really cool solution for the lack of note syncing. It doesn't sync with outlook, but Evernote syncs to a web interface or desktop application. It has the advantage of syncing Audio notes and pictures too. I was sync-ing email, calendar and contacts over the air with hosted exchange, so I wasn't too excited at the prospect of having to hook up a USB cable to get notes. Evernote works does everything over my wireless data connection.

Now I just have to figure out Tasks. I'm going to try astrid.
  13. BlueIce5249

BlueIce5249 Well-Known Member

Too bad you took back the Droid, it sounds like you just needed to learn how to use everything. But it also sounds like for what you need a Blackberry is better suited for you.
  14. 2fasst

2fasst Active Member

I've tried both. Astrid's user interface sucks by comparison. Pony up the $25 for RememberTheMilk for the year. It's totally worth it.

I hope Toodledo with come to Android. That's another favorite task management app of mine.
  15. michaelk

michaelk Well-Known Member

touchdown is a replacement for the built in exchange email client. It will give you many more feautures in your email and give you tasks that sync back and forth with your exchange server. I haven't kept up- but last iu checked it will be updated to also sync notes when exchange 2010 is mainstream (earlier versions of exchange do NOT support syncing notes over the air- 2010 supposedly fixes that)

Downside is it's not as tightly integrated into the rest of the phone as the built in version.
  16. mystereon

mystereon Active Member

I use Astrid for my to-do list
    I use Evernote for syncing ability (when needed)
    To sync my Google calendar with my Outlook I just install the Google Calendar Sync on your computer which you can download from Google.
  17. OldBB

OldBB New Member

I also miss the notes not coming across from exchange. Here is my current workaround.
    1. Create a contact in Outlook and enter the note title in the first name field.
    2. Copy the original note in Outlook to the "comments" field in the new contact.
    3. Assign the same category to all note-contacts (I created a category named "Notes" in outlook for the work-around)

When you save the contact in Outlook, it will be sent to the Droid.

To access just your notes on your droid, go to People, choose Category view and select the category you created in step 3. (in my case "Notes")

It's not perfect,but it will sync the note information to your droid. And in the event you have no network connection, the note will still be available.

Hopefully someone will fix the missing note shortcoming soon.
  18. man68

man68 New Member

I'm using K-9 mail.
    It synchronise all
    Notes, Task, folders...........
    everything
    it works very good

:)
  19. huddie

huddie Member

I've moved all my notes from Outlook to OneNote 2010 with SkyDrive storage, which is superb. There are two Android apps I know of that sync OneNote SkyDrive notes: OneNote Mobile and MobileNoter SE. Unfortunately, both suck. I'm currently using MobileNoter SE on my phone as I think it's the lesser evil.

As for tasks, I switched to Google Tasks and the GTasks Android app for personal tasks and flagging e-mails in Outlook / Exchange for work ones.