Tea Kettle/Airplane Fly Over Noise

Last Updated:

1. blueguy7

blueguy7 New Member This Topic's Starter

When I first got my Droid, I would often hear a tea kettle going off in the background with pitch changes, like a plane flying over head. Needless to say, I wasn't going to put up with the distracting noises, especially with a brand new phone. So, Verizon replaced the device. Four months later, I'm still having the same problem. The problem isn't that bad but I should hear such noises, regardless. Verizon says they haven't heard of such an issue but will replace the device again. Has anyone else noticed these noises while on a phone call?

Advertisement
  2. anjoga

anjoga Well-Known Member

Yes, it has happened to me every once and a while. It's very very low in volume, but I can hear it maybe once out of every 7-10 calls. I find it mildly annoying at best, and never thought about replacing my Droid because of it. I thought it was simply a reception issue or something. Now that I know I'm not alone in this it makes me wonder, but I still don't see myself replacing my Droid over it. As I said, it doesn't happen to me every phone call, and it is barely there when it does happen, but I have noticed it as you describe.

3. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

Do you have high voltage power lines nearby? A large transformer? Sounds like Electromagnetic Interference to me. It is likely that SOMETHING external to your phone is messing with it. And despite the engineers' best efforts to make the Droid resistant to interference, they can't fix everything.

You didn't mention if you were in one general area when this happened or not. Now if your phone is doing this in multiple locations, THEN I would suspect the phone.

4. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Well-Known Member

Every now and again I get a far off sounding low whistle noise, there seems to be no rhyme or reason to it. It's just sometimes there, in the background. It's annoying but ignorable too. I assume it to be interference of some sort although I can't pinpoint what/where/when.

5. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

Just wanted to add that I get the noise as well. It isn't on every call and sometimes a call starts fine and then in the middle of the call it will start making the high pitched noise. It hasn't been annoying enough to me to get my phone replaced though.

6. SlaveUnit

SlaveUnit Well-Known Member

Ive had it on 2 Droids I have had.

7. tominabox1

tominabox1 Well-Known Member

could it be the noise canceling?

8. teschoen

teschoen Well-Known Member

never happend to me once.... I do get a noise with Pandora, but that happens because of pandora.

9. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

off topic but, is there a tea kettle ringtone?? never thought about it until i saw this thread title just now. just thought it would be really awesome if there was.

10. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

I would say its cell reception. I know at&T had bad static and background noise. I haven't noticed this on my droid but again I came from at&t and might not key in on the lil sound compared to the garbage on the at&t airwaves.

I will listen for it in the future and Pandora is clear for me and have ear buds so should hear any whine or background noise. maybe I am just lucky who knows. hope you figure it out and get it fixed.

11. milrtime83

milrtime83 Well-Known Member

I have a full 5 bars all the time at home and it does it.

12. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

I heArd it today the whistling. Its nothing more than an interference in the signal from the tower to your phone. Not much you can do with it as not a phone problem. If you want to hear way worse then use at@t service for a week lol

13. dawkins20

dawkins20 New Member

I have had the exact same teakettle whistle since day one with my droid. It happens about 40-50% of calls usually near the beginning, and is quiet enough to just be really annoying but tolerable. To those that say that it is cellular interference or EMI/RFI, it is most certainly not as it occurrs everywhere, is random in nature as to when it will start and always follows the same crescendo - decrescendo type pitch, literally the exact same pitch and time before stopping every single time. It occurs with 5 bars or one bar, in the city or the mountains, doesn't matter. I assumed it was a problem with my phone, but from reading other similar descriptions on the web and here, I am afraid it is a design flaw. I would bet a lot of Droids have this, but since it is fairly quiet and high frequency, people don't notice or figure it is just interference or background noise. I have both an old feature phone and a HTC Titan that I used in the exact same locations with the same Verizon towers, no teakettle whistle with either, again proving it is not a carrier tower to phone interference problem. This is most definitely a Droid problem

14. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations! Moderator

When we couldn't identify an interference problem we always blamed it on sunspots :D

15. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

Like... an actual tea-kettle or the high-pitched whine people are talking about? Cause I have the latter; you can just generate a 17KHz sine wave and save that as an mp3.

16. gotwillk

gotwillk Well-Known Member

actual tea kettle sound :)

17. Dark Jedi

Dark Jedi Guest

naaaa man solar flares

18. boogaloo

boogaloo Member

I've been getting the tea kettle noise at home, at work and can't really pinpoint the problem. Is there a way to change the mic volume?

Back in the day I had a Nextel BB 8350i and it suffered from feedback due to a design flaw. Nextel support recommended lowering the mic volume. Just curious to know if there's such a setting on the Droid.

When it happens I simply power down the phone and reboot. That seems to take care of it, but I shouldn't have to do that.

19. punkid

punkid Member

I get it every once and a while too. I will say I get it more often at home (1 or 2 bars) then at work (full bars) Actually I can't even remember if I have got the noise around my work. At home I notice it lasts about 5 to 10 secs and seams to happen every 15 to 20 mins on a phone call. like other have said its not a big issue just kinda annoying.

20. blueguy7

blueguy7 New Member This Topic's Starter

Wow, I'm glad many others have had this problem. While I agree it's not something too bad, I figured it wasn't something I should put up with since it's a new phone. In response to location when it happens, I haven't noted any of those details.

So, Verizon replaced my phone but the Droid they sent me is a refurb and has a flat keyboard. I'm going to keep my whistling phone because I like the rounded keys on the keyboard. I didn't realize they can/did change the physical appearance of the phone.