Teathering a violation of TOS, or is it

Last Updated:

1. Grecho

Grecho Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

So I'm pretty sure that I understood teathering was a violation of contract. Well I just saw a cocmercial for verizon and the palm pre advertising that it can teather up to 5 devices, so what's up with that??

Advertisement
  2. jasonb1985

jasonb1985 Well-Known Member

im guessing they charge extra for that feature on the palm.

3. AFAngryWarrior

AFAngryWarrior Well-Known Member

Tethering isn't against the TOS, using your wireless device as a conduit to the internet for a separate device without the appropriate plan is. So in short, tethering to use the internet on a laptop, etc is against the TOS and if they catch you, which I've seen happen a few times, they can charge you .002$/kb for the data that was used while tethering. We can see in a program called MARS whether or not the internet was used on the handheld or if the handheld was used for DUN.

4. shadowdude777

shadowdude777 Well-Known Member

DUN? You mean a dial-up network? I know PDANet uses the phone as a modem, but Wireless Tether for Root Users just projects a WiFi hotspot; can we be caught using that as well?

And what is this "MARS" program? Do you have a link to it or information about it or anything?

5. AndroidsOfTara

AndroidsOfTara Well-Known Member

shadowdude777 likes this.
  6. lone_anarchist

lone_anarchist Well-Known Member

mmmmmm idk bout all of this, but im watching the thread, good info to come

7. clos1084

clos1084 Well-Known Member

To do the Palm Pre Hot Spot at Home, its an additional $40 per month on top of your $30 data plan. And they are able to distinguish the diff between the two, you get 5Gb per month to do hot spot and unlimited for PDA use still

8. takeshi

takeshi Well-Known Member

Apples and oranges as they say. As clos1084 pointed out there's a separate hotspot plan for the Pre. There's still no tethering plan for the Droid AFAIK.

9. tominabox1

tominabox1 Well-Known Member

So the consensus is that VZW might be able to tell if you are tethering or not and so it should be used with extreme caution?

10. barry99705

barry99705 Well-Known Member

Maybe, maybe not, but that's a good idea. You'd probably be alright just using it to surf or check your email. I wouldn't download any blueray rips over it though.

11. Grecho

Grecho Well-Known Member This Topic's Starter

Ahhhhh so i didnt know there was an extra charge, but i guess i should have figured there was

12. QrafTee

QrafTee Well-Known Member

The tethering service is alright per contract so as long as you're paying for it and agreeing to not go over the 5GB/month limit.

Using something like PDAnet to tether using your unlimited data plan is not alright per contract. They usually don't care unless you abuse the plan by going over 5GB/month constantly (ie torrenting).