teathering to a macbook as a modem ???!!Support

Last Updated:

1. ir803

ir803 Member This Topic's Starter

I am on the verge of upgrading my phone, at the moment iv'e ditched the idea of a BB Storm because of the terrible feedback and reviews on bad signal and battery life.
    So I am left with the Magic or the new HTC Touch Pro " out in the next couple of weeks.
    I'm on Vodafone UK, i will be staying with them as they offer the best of what I need in my area.
    I use my phone for my business, it needs to sync with my microsoft office to take my contacts and diary with me, it needs to be able to be teathered (either usb or bluetooth) to my macbook so I can use it as a modem as I edit photographs on location and ftp or email them to clients. I do not send enough through my laptop to justify a 3G usb dongle on a separate tariff and Vodafone don't do a pay as you go dongle that will work with a mac (only the contract one works :eek:()
    i've had a play with a Magic and it seems nice, I currently have a HTC Tytn 2(tilt) so i would have to get used to using a virtual keyboard with the Magic.
    The Touch Pro 2 looks sweet BUT it's big. So if the Magic could achieve what I need then it may be the phone for me.

SO....my question is, can I use the magic as a modem for my macbook?

Advertisement
  2. pacothebandit

pacothebandit Well-Known Member

Yes and no...I have a macbook and i use my Dream (Tmobile G1) to tether to mine. Although in order to do it I had to download a wifi tether program and have root access. So does it work stock? No, but that would also depend on Vodaphone, they may or may not provide the service along with the magic. Tmo state side does not.

You can navigate to the website where the developer has a tethering app called Wifi Tether from his page Android G1 Wifi Tether - Android Activity

Aside from that you may have to do some more research and ask locally about tethering. I hope this help even in the least bit. It is possible to root your a Magic...and there are pleny of people around here that will answer questions you may have.

3. ir803

Thats very helpfull pacothebandit, reading up on this does the tether Blu app work on the Magic also, i'm not too sure where the OS is, does cupcake - 1.5 refer to the system the Magic uses?

4. pacothebandit

I am not familiar with Tether blu but i hear the Wifi Tether works better...and Yes basically cupcake is the new firmware that came on the magic

5. ir803

something looking less promising though is the fact I just read on another website that syncing my outlook contacts and diary is not straight forward because android is set up to work more with google's online calendar and other apps. This would pretty much exclude the magic from my options for upgrading. (it would also be a bizzare and detrimental decision for google to make considering how many people use outlook)
    :confused:

6. pacothebandit

Agreed, that or transer your contact info to google, use it for contact purposes and use outlook as your email host. The phone will two way sync all info and changes made to your adress book and u can always set outlook to receive your gmail stuff...such as email