• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Tech-Ignorant has ??

Bravo311

Nov 15, 2009
I'm not too tech savvy so sometimes these blogs leave my head spinning.

I've had my Droid for about 10 days now(my first "smart-phone") and while I really like it, there are some things that I haven't gotten over. I was attracted to the Eris from the start, but got sold on "faster" processor and 1.5 vs. 2.0 etc.

Considering making the switch, but have a few questions based on my personal usage.

1. I like listening to Pandora, Slacker or Listen. Will those be affected by a "slower" phone. i.e. pauses or buffering which I get none of with Droid.

2. On same programs if I want to send or recieve text messages will this affect the music.

3. What about web browsing while listening to Pandora. If it is affected, is it because of 1.5 or a slower processor, or are those two the same? (This is where I get confused, because I hear about "lagging" all the time)

4. Does answering phone calls require a sreen swipe or can you just hit "talk" button? I know, stupid question, but answering Droid call is a pain!

5. Since the physical keyboard is virtually useless exept for using the d-pad to back up during texts or moving in tight spaces on the web. Does the trackball do what this d-pad does, and does it work in landscape.

Sorry for the ramble but you all seem to know more than the guy I talked to at the VZ store on Sunday(nice guy, no help, I knew more).

Thanks

1. I like listening to Pandora, Slacker or Listen. Will those be affected by a "slower" phone. i.e. pauses or buffering which I get none of with Droid.

I've noticed no pauses or buffering when playing pandora. The only time I get a little hiccup is if I am in WIFI and move out to my car and the connection switches to 3G. Other than that it's been rock solid.

2. On same programs if I want to send or recieve text messages will this affect the music.

I've had no issues. The other day I was listening to pandora, checking traffic on google maps, and reading some email and heard no issues.

3. What about web browsing while listening to Pandora. If it is affected, is it because of 1.5 or a slower processor, or are those two the same? (This is where I get confused, because I hear about "lagging" all the time)

Not really, web pages take a little longer to load and render on the eris but it's not bad at all. I've not really browsed with pandora loaded so I can't speak specifically to your question though.

4. Does answering phone calls require a sreen swipe or can you just hit "talk" button? I know, stupid question, but answering Droid call is a pain!

When a call comes in and the screen is locked the phone tells you to down swipe to answer the call. That's all there is to it.

5. Since the physical keyboard is virtually useless exept for using the d-pad to back up during texts or moving in tight spaces on the web. Does the trackball do what this d-pad does, and does it work in landscape.

I don't really use the track ball much. I think the only thing I've really used it for is quickly jumping between screens instead of swiping. I guess each person uses them differently. It's quite smooth for me when I do try to use it in programs though if that helps at all.

Upvote 0
When a call comes in and the screen is locked the phone tells you to down swipe to answer the call. That's all there is to it.

I don't really use the track ball much. I think the only thing I've really used it for is quickly jumping between screens instead of swiping. I guess each person uses them differently. It's quite smooth for me when I do try to use it in programs though if that helps at all.

You CAN just hit the call button to answer. I have never swiped the screen to answer.

The trackball works well, although to me it's somewhat sensitive and I haven't found a way to make it slower. And yes, it does work in landscape.

Upvote 0
I have had mine since last Tuesday, severe learning curve from a curve (no pun intended).

I have spent much time with both as I have several friends that went in either direction...my honest answer is the while the Motorola may seem a touch snappier, (really not noticable) that I dont see a difference worth that unusable keyboard, bulkiness.

I will say however, that it has taken me a solid week to tweak the phone to get it to the point where I am OK with the battery life, awake time of the phone, understanding how to close apps with force close, etc....for the typical BlackBerry user (like my wife), this is way too complicated a phone to start off with. The average user doesnt search out forums, root their phone, etc...

For me, it is a personal phone - so email, applications and small size are what its about. I could not imagine carrying that Droid in my jeans pocket.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones