• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Technically Speaking....

Couldn't you, if you knew what you were doing. Solder more ram chips onto your phones mainboard, and if you knew programming (which I believe the Android uses Java) you could make it work ? Not that I wanna try this, cause even tho I've been building computers for about 10years, I have never actually solder anything onto a PCB board before or made my own Circuit Board or anything like that. The only things I have ever soldered were on either Game Consoles or Guitars, cause you have to do some soldering to install new Pickups in a guitar. I am a career musician so I have soldered pickups a lot, and am good at soldering, but not good enough to attempt something like that, but I was just wondering if it was technically possible or not.

I guess if the mfg made a version with more memory, upgrading would be possible in some rare cases, if totaly impractical. Unlike pc motherboards, there aren't open "slots" for additional memory on phone mb's, so you're probably looking at de soldering an existing chip(s). Dis assembly and reassembly are a pain in the butt with these little things. Not worth it. Not even close. If you want a better spec'd device? Buy it and sell your existing device to make up the difference.

Upvote 0
...but I was just wondering if it was technically possible or not.

A quick answer to your question. No, it is not possible.

I used to repair cell phones years ago. Cell phone manufacturers do not make main boards in cell phones upgradable. What's in the phone is what you get. Personally,it would be a big PITA. Even if you were able to replace the existing memory you would may have to re-write the software to utilize the new memory. It would not be worth the hassle.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones