• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Teething issues.

When I connected to the SKY router (whilst away) it used to say obtaining address and then connected.

With the netgear on virgin I literally get no feedback. It's like it doesn't even try or something. I get nothing at all. I press connect and nothing happens. When I press the SSID again it comes up with connect, forget and cancel again, like I didn't even try previously, and the Wi-Fi stays on Disconnected.

Frustrating!! :( I wondered if I was missing something in the settings but I can't find a thing.

If you put in the wrong security information it would normally hang at aquiring address before telling you the credentials are incorrect.

Try removing the security (remember to turn it back on) just to see if the issue lies there or not.

EDIT: To disable the security you'll need to go to your router status page:

www.routerlogin.net
username = virgin
password = password

On the left hit WIRELESS SETTINGS

Security Options:

You'll Have either None-WEP-WPAPSK or WPA.

Before resorting to changing it to NONE scroll a bit further down and take a note of the network key and try using that + the SSID at the top of this page to connect 1 more time.

Upvote 0
Yay - glad it is sorted out (I was barking up totally the wrong tree).

In general Channel 6 isn't the only one the Desire can use - I'm on Channel 11 for example. However if someone else in your area is also using wireless on channel 6 then you can get interference which can prevent connections - which will explain why your friend had problems as well. Now you're online you can download a great little free app called WiFi Analyzer which will show you which local networks are on which channels to see where the clash was. When you've installed it, open it up and swipe left or right a few times to see a graph showing what networks are using what channel.

Upvote 0
Yay - glad it is sorted out (I was barking up totally the wrong tree).

In general Channel 6 isn't the only one the Desire can use - I'm on Channel 11 for example. However if someone else in your area is also using wireless on channel 6 then you can get interference which can prevent connections - which will explain why your friend had problems as well. Now you're online you can download a great little free app called WiFi Analyzer which will show you which local networks are on which channels to see where the clash was. When you've installed it, open it up and swipe left or right a few times to see a graph showing what networks are using what channel.

Thanks - I'll grab that! Originally my router was on auto then I put it to channel 8 to see if that made a difference, but channel 6 seemed to be the one that did the track :)

So so glad. I'll keep that in mind for future if I have problems...

Upvote 0
One other point to make for people stuggling with newer routers.
Once your wirless network shows up (ssid) and you put in your password.
Some newer routers require you to push a button (normally on the front) to actually enable the connection (only have to do it once)

I know it's a lot more technical than that, i'm just trying to make things clearer.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones