• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

amontanez09

Jan 12, 2011
I'm sure we all have herd about the new chipset tegra3 and its quad core, but what I wanna know is will we see a newline of emulators. Such as xbox, ps2, and gamecube that would be awesome. And if so how come we don't see old popluar games get brought over? But I would like to see world of warcraft on to android tab seems very possible. Thoughts

Even modern fast PC's with Core i5 or i7 CPU's can still have trouble emulating some games for PS2 and GC/Wii. I wouldn't hold out too much hope yet for them. Possibly some will run, not all the games were created equally and some don't require as much power. We might see the start of emulating PS2 games, maybe a not so demanding game like Kingdom Hearts would start to run (even if slowly). 2D games might stand a chance.

Just don't hold your breath. I think Dreamcast at least is a solid possibility, there's a guy who ported nulldc to android and has it running somewhat well on dual core phones (youtube it).

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
One of the big issues with game emulators is that next comes the game porting - and many software houses find that that violates their copyrights and terms of use.

And for obvious legal reasons, we have to come down hard on discussing ports of those games behind the devs' backs.

Besides, with the strengths being different on a phone vs. a dedicated game box, it's often best to go with a customized solution to maximize the return on their investment.

Maybe checking out the Tegra Zone games or if you have good bandwidth, OnLive (including it's pretty-cool game controller for phones) are some good alternatives.

Upvote 0
I don't think PS2 games could ever be emulated on an Android device, or any portable device for that matter.

I wouldn't be surprised to see it within a few generations. Some PCs with less power than a Tegra 3 run PS3 emus pretty well with the right tweaks in settings.

I'd love some PSP emulation, I have a massive UMD graveyard in my garage that I'd like to pick up n play on my mobile!

Upvote 0
Emulators have to emulate the system environment of the console you're looking to play. You can't just throw more processor speed and RAM at an emulator and expect it to work better. If the emulated system is working at a cycle speed that doesn't sync at all with the actual processor of the system, then you're going to have game performance issues.

So don't necessarily think that bigger specs = better specs with emulators. If the Android OS is taking resources that the emulator is trying to use, then it will. But if it's just that the emulator can't create the same system environment it needs to, expect lag.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones