Tekkeon MP1550General

Last Updated:

1. montero1dfw

montero1dfw Member This Topic's Starter

Advertisement
  2. montero1dfw

montero1dfw Member This Topic's Starter

Has anybody used any type of charging device such as this. I don't care if it is this brand. I am looking for a way to charge my phone when I am not close to a electric outlet or car.

3. computerpro3

computerpro3 Well-Known Member

I was in the same situation as you and also was frustrated by the lack of info. I wound up buying several to compare them and here are my findings:

Tekkeon MP1550 - this wound up being the best of a rather mediocre field. Build quality is questionable, but it does it's job. Check when you first get it how hot it gets - I got a defective one that got so hot it melted the plastic a little, as did several others. My replacement works fine. It charges the phone via both alkaline and nimh batteries. I'd stay away from lithium energizers with it as the charger gets VERY hot. Successfully can charge both the TP2 and this phone. Don't bother using the Tekkeon to charge the AA's in it via USB - the charging circuit is time only, not vsense so it could damage the batteries.

For actually charging your phone however, it is the best. Successfully charges the phone from even 0% to full battery, which is something none of the others could do.

Sanyo Eneloop Mobile Booster - this is the second place winner. It is frustrating because it BY FAR has the best build quality and feature set, and the built in AA charging feature is actually fantastic - it's a fully featured smart charger for nimh batteries. However, it isn't the greatest phone charger because it only has 2 batteries. Can only charge the phone about 50%, and for some reason won't charge the phone if the phone's battery is completely dead.

Duracell Mobile Booster - piece of crap. Works with Alkalines and Lithiums only, horible build quality, and won't start charging if the mobile booster doesnt sense a voltage of 1.4v from the batteries. This is completely stupd because it won't work with NIMH batteries at all, and if your alkalines even have 90% of battery remaining, the voltage will drop below 1.5v and you won't be able to start charging the phone EVEN THOUGH YOUR BATTERIES HAVE 90% CHARGE LEFT!

Hope that helps - for what it's worth, the Tekkeon has saved me many times, and not just with my phone: I had my junior piano recital the other day (I'm a piano performance major) and realized that I forgot to charge my 720P video camera about an hour before the the performance. I plugged the Tekkeon into it with 4 Eneloop AA's inside and it provided enough juice for the entire 1.5 hour concert.

montero1dfw likes this.