1. 2015 is going to be a great year for Android! Why wait??
    Samsung Galaxy Note 5 | Samsung Galaxy S6 | HTC One M9
  2. New Forum Created: Samsung Gear VR!

tell if a message was received?

1. kellyg1120

kellyg1120 Member

On my old phones, there would be a little check if the verizon user got my text, and a green arrow saying that it wasn't received (like they didn't have service or their phone was off).
    is there anyway to tell on the droid? and i'm also using handcent so if you can finnd a way to do that on messaging ill use that again, if you know for handcent that'd be great :] thanksss

Advertisement
    :
  2. zandroid

zandroid Well-Known Member

Received or read? I assume all of mine are received if I didn't get the notice back that said message failed.
  3. kellyg1120

kellyg1120 Member

well it was rumored to be the check meant read but it really just means it was received to the phone. i usually assume too but if they don't answer i don't wanna send it again if they're phones off. with the older phones there would be a check mark if it was sent to the phone, which usually meant they read it or would be reading it soon.
  4. 97'es

97'es Well-Known Member

I don't know about handcent but the stock app gives u an option in the settings. you can then long press a text message and go to view report and it will tell you if it was recieved. It doesn't give you a time received that I can find though which I dislike. My old u series samsung even did that basic task.
  5. micp1480

micp1480 Well-Known Member

I was in search for the same thing, and yes handcent does do this. Go into settings and makes sure "Notifications" is checked off.

MICP1480
  6. jmt9779

jmt9779 Well-Known Member

?? That doesn't sound right. All that does it shut off the notification you get in the notification bar when your phone receives a new text message...And, honestly, why would you want that off?
  7. Fabolous

Fabolous Superuser VIP Member

Yeah, I remember on my Tour I used to get a 'D' for delivered (it would only work with other Verizon users).

That's cool and all, but Android's method is fine too. It won't inform you that the message was delivered, since most likely it was.

If there was a problem though, you'll get a notice instead.

Same end result, just a different way of getting it accomplished.
  8. square

square Well-Known Member

text them again and ask "did you get my message"? if that annoys them, then they weren't really a friend in the first place, were they?
  9. Tim K

Tim K Well-Known Member Contributor

For stock messaging: Go into messages, select settings. Choose "delivery reports" and or "read reports". I think (at least on my old blackberry) that it only gives read reports if you are on the same carrier. Delivery reports should work cross carrier if I recall.

Not sure if the stock settings will apply to handcent or not though.
  10. karns

karns Member

Handcent does have delivery reports. Go into the menu on the main screen. Tap more and it will give you the option to see them. :)
  11. ninjasenses

ninjasenses Active Member

When I goto settings/retirieve settings there are sms options...

Delivery reports - this will put a a clock next to your message when it is sent, an x when it is not recieved, and a check next to your message when it is recieved by another verizon user, it will also send you a message saying "Message to 555-5555 has been delievered".

Handcent delivery reports - This will generate a report you can view by hitting menu/more/delivery reports

My question is, is there a way I can get the delivery report on each text to have the icon next to the message but not the "Message to 555-5555 has been delievered" everytime I send a message?
  12. xgunner1

xgunner1 New Member

you have to go onto the actual sent text press down on the text you want to know about, scroll to view report if it says recieved, that means the got it and if they didn't it will say pending. You have to click on each one individually. This is assuming you have already gone into text settings (which you can do when you are on the text menu) and check 'Read reports'.
  13. rp11

rp11 New Member

i am looking for a solution also. I turned on delivery reports in handcent and it puts a check next to the text message but it also sends me a notification when it was delivered. Is there any way to have it just have the check there and not send a notification. I dont want to take notifications off because I want a notification when I receive an actual message. Any ideas on how to turn off the notification in the status bar for delivered messages and still keep the check marks next to delivered messages in the sms thread
  14. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

Under retrieve message settings, be sure to have Delivery reports checked (request a delivery report from carrier), and disable "sent notifications" further down the settings list.
  15. ninjasenses

ninjasenses Active Member

what phone and android are you running? I have a droid eris and android 1.6 and this does not work
  16. icecold

icecold Well-Known Member

Motorola Droid, 2.1. But this is using Handcent, so as long as you have that installed, you should be able to do it...i would assume....
  17. kalmoose

kalmoose New Member

icecold - I have a Droid 2 that I just got a few days ago (Aug 27, 2010) and your advice worked. I now have a green check next to msgs that have been delivered to the phone of the person who I sent it to. If their phone is off or out of service it has a blue clock looking thing. Of course it only works for other Verizon customers. This is very helpful. Thanks again!
  18. Lock-N-Load

Lock-N-Load Well-Known Member

just curious, as I do not plan to do it, but when you do this what exactly is seen on your phone? What do you see in Handcent once this is done? something next to each message in the messaging thread?
  19. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

does the message come from the same sender?
    If so it maybe possible to "blacklist" that number/sender where the notification is coming from.
  20. jfe

jfe Well-Known Member

If you need to have confirmation that the message was read, you can use ping chat

It shows if the message was read.

Not SMS, but if you need to have a confirmation message with a certain party, this is the way to go

A friend uses this to send messages to her teenage daughter, and make sure she knows that her messages were read
  21. thaDroidz

thaDroidz Well-Known Member

I checked all four setting that have report in them. The first four under the receive opitions using hanscent. I got no notification just the little icon in the text display area.
  22. trishh

trishh New Member

is there a way to block a delivery report from someone on handcent?