• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Telus 2.2 Update

blitzburgh11

Nov 23, 2010
Hey guys,

New to the boards here as I just got my first Smart Phone last week. Perfect timing too since I got the LG Shine Plus with Google from Telus. It's an amazing touchscreen mini laptop with a little phone capability attached to it! lol

Anyways, since this is my first smart phone, and Droid obviously, I wanted to know how the updates of the OS work.

Do we have to pay Telus for updates?

Do we have to download a file from the Telus website, LG website, or is it over the air?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Any idea what kind of benefits we will get from the update to 2.2? My friend just got the Desire with 2.2, on my recommendation and I helped him to set it all up to tether, as a replacement for his dial up internet where he lives in the country.

I saw a lot of little differences, which was a little bit confusing for me, after spending 2 months learning on the Shine plus. I'm not sure how much of it was HTC Sense, and how much was the difference between 2.1 and 2.2.

I'm unsure of if I actually want to update to 2.2, unless 2.1 will be compatible with less apps, or otherwise less functional as time goes on. This is my first experience with a smart phone ever and after a couple months with it i'm really used to it, but I had to spend a bit of time to do that, which I enjoyed, but I wasted time when I should have been studying.

Upvote 0
Different phones have different looks even with the same version of the Android OS.

My wife's Shine Plus looks quite a bit different than my SE Xperia X10 for example...

She had up to 7 homescreens and I only have 5. She has custom icons at the bottom that slide to each screen, I didn't have any. She has icons in her status bar when swiped down to toggle her wifi/gps/sound etc... I don't. There are many little differences. Without having the phone I can't say what elements are HTC and what are OS 2.1 but there will likely always be subtle and not so subtle differences between phones.

Upvote 0
Different phones have different looks even with the same version of the Android OS.

My wife's Shine Plus looks quite a bit different than my SE Xperia X10 for example...

She had up to 7 homescreens and I only have 5. She has custom icons at the bottom that slide to each screen, I didn't have any. She has icons in her status bar when swiped down to toggle her wifi/gps/sound etc... I don't. There are many little differences. Without having the phone I can't say what elements are HTC and what are OS 2.1 but there will likely always be subtle and not so subtle differences between phones.

Having owned an X10, an HD2 and this LG shine plus, I'll be quite honest, the LG shine Plus only wins as a lower end phone because of the slide QWERTY... X10 is a beautiful phone with alot of bloat (But custom ROMs are just around the corner for it) and the HD2 is by far my best phone hands down. Froyo (2.2) does a world of difference.

If the X10 or the LG shine plus had Froyo, they'd be much different than they are now. Either way, I love all three phones for different reasons!

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sure that I know what bloat ware is. I don't think I've seen it on my Shine plus. I know there is an LG Launcher that's configured a bit different, and then plain android, and also a LG App advisor that lists some apps that are confirmed to work with it. I've loaded Zeam Launcher since someone else here had good luck with it, and I have it set for 7 homescreens. Other than the app advisor possibly, I can't think of anything i've seen on it that would be considered bloatware unless I'm missing something?

Upvote 0
I'm not 100% sure that I know what bloat ware is. I don't think I've seen it on my Shine plus. I know there is an LG Launcher that's configured a bit different, and then plain android, and also a LG App advisor that lists some apps that are confirmed to work with it. I've loaded Zeam Launcher since someone else here had good luck with it, and I have it set for 7 homescreens. Other than the app advisor possibly, I can't think of anything i've seen on it that would be considered bloatware unless I'm missing something?

By bloatware I meant the one in the Xperia X10, for example timescape and mediascape, all the background services that Sony added which break android if they are stopped or uninstalled (I've been in the X10 dev forums alot, so I tried everything and anything with that phone). When it comes to the Shine Plus, it seems like a very basic version of Android, kept alot of stock items. I really like the simplicity.

I use Launcher Pro and to be honest, seems like the best launcher for speed and stability. The shine plus runs oh so smoooooth with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones