• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telus announced Android 2.3 Gingerbread update schedule.

So, apparently Telus is releasing Gingerbread to a select few phones this Spring, but no word yet on the Galaxy S Fascinate. Just wondering if anyone has heard any rumours on that front. I would imagine the Fascinate will get the update at some point, but I'm hoping it will be sooner than later.

Here's an article about the release date and the phones that will be receiving the update.

Reactions: Joelzinho
Well, there is a little good news. Samsung is pushing out Gingerbread for the Galaxy S, but it's going to hit the UK first (next couple of weeks), then the rest of Europe. North America will shortly follow.

It's not today or tomorrow, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel. It would be nice if we could get Gingerbread before Ice Cream Sandwich is released. lol.

Upvote 0
Well, there is a little good news. Samsung is pushing out Gingerbread for the Galaxy S, but it's going to hit the UK first (next couple of weeks), then the rest of Europe. North America will shortly follow.

It's not today or tomorrow, but at least there's light at the end of the tunnel. It would be nice if we could get Gingerbread before Ice Cream Sandwich is released. lol.
Yeah, well they better upgrade to a massive search light. I don't see the slightest flicker here. Samsung also has no clue here either.

Upvote 0
I saw an update to the thread and went oh great. But alas not so, nothing new here or on another Android forum I check in on.

When they come out with it. I am hoping its 2.3.4 which has been out for a while and fixes a lot of bugs and security issues. Not like they did with 2.2 they released the first version while the two better sub version were denied.

I really hate the Android mechanism used for all phones. Some OEM's like HTC might be more responsive to their users. Samsung must certainly be the worst and its make little sense given their high sales, use base and the shear size of the company. The do little else after sales, service or real support.

Well in 2012 there will be and entirely new IPhone design which is after this years model. By then I'll be ready to jump ship or dingy in this case to a truly supported platform.

Upvote 0

2 months later since this was posted and still nothing. Man I am really starting to hate Android getting updates and patches is virtually impossible.

Upvote 0
Knowing the update is not so far off and then teasing us like this is just brutal. It's almost as bad as the wait for the Eclair update for the hero... though I suppose the fascinate hasn't hit end-of-life status with Telus yet.

Nevertheless, I feel the way Telus is going about releasing this update is completely and utterly bush league. There should be no update listed on their website UNTIL it is 100% ready for the public. Bad Telus, BAD!

Upvote 0
Yes its still not working link. But firmware updates were via Kies in the past for Samsung. I doubt that is going to change this time. On that note. I did check and still not there either. But the indication is promising. Maybe next month it will be available. Its good its at least 2.3.3

Sure this update will still come via Kies and if we are so fortunate to see another update, it too will most likely have to be done through Kies.

The fact remains that our beloved service provider still has to have the final say on "this and that" with the update. All I was getting at is how I feel they've jumped the gun in listing it before it's available.

Upvote 0
Good to know this is finally happening... I just got my Fascinate 3G+ at the end of may... good phone, can only get better!

glad the telus page was updated to show the new version, annoyed that we still have to wait... that link should have remained plain text until it was available.

the page lists these as the 3G+ update features:

User interface refinements: theme color change, better visual effects, changes in dialer and Gmail, and easy text input with multi-touch

Ability to make calls over the internet with Voice over IP (VoIP), when connected to Wi-Fi

Near Field Communication (NFC): Your smartphone can read NFC tags on posters and advertisements and the feature has the ability to turn the device into a virtual wallet

I like the idea of the NFC thing...

the main page for the 3G+ is still showing 2.2 under DEVICE SOFTWARE though...

Upvote 0
Absolutely ridiculous. There will be another patch or update before then. I also have an LG Shine Plus and its on 2.1 still. This platform really really bad with update so so far apart if at all. Patches are nill. At this rate Windows Mobile will catch up and IOS will have more moving over to it.

Upvote 0
The thing to remember here tripplec is that Vendors get the version from Google, customize it to the phone and release it to your phone company. Your phone company then customizes the package when received from the phone manufacturer to their network. Unfortunately we are at the mercy of the manufacturer and phone companies.

If you are looking to fast-track this process, I suggest you buy a phone direct from Google (Nexus S). Another option is to load a custom ROM to your phone.

Upvote 0
The network configuration should be left static and unaffected by updates. Any hardware customization should be done by the OEM (Samsung in this case). This process is seriously flawed on Android.

Apple can do it and presume Windows Mobile is doing it. My next phone will be an IPhone. They get updates in weeks. On this platform the released version is already out of date and obsolete and if and when the next release comes it the same story. TOO LONG and many never get updated at all.

On this series of 2.3.x the latest for a very long time is 2.3.4 which has bug fixes as well. But Android 3.2 is also out as well. Why would we not want the version with the bug fixes and why waist time configuring the old release for months later. You can see this on their site: - Android 2.3.4 Platform | Android Developers

Upvote 0
I've tried and tried, rebooted and refresh my USB driver and nothing. It still says its current. Even with a fully charged battery. I don't know the info must be out of sync. Guess Samsung has not queued it up yet but why 2.3.3 and not 2.3.4 which is the latest with many bug fixes release so many months ago. We'll still have many bugs to deal with. Many are security ones as well.

Upvote 0
ya

Keep your smartphone running efficiently by using the latest available software.

As of August 2011, a new firmware version is available for the Samsung Galaxy S Fascinate 3G+. Before you update your smartphone, you need to know your current firmware version.

From the Home screen, tap Applications.
Tap Settings.
Select About phone.
You don't need an upgrade if the:
Firmware version is 2.3.3
Build number is GINGERBREAD.LKF9

but samsung kies does not see it....uhhh

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones