• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Telus Galaxy S2 (T989D) Ultimate Root and Optimization Guide with Steps

I think I may have figured out the problem, do you think this is probably why?: When I put the ROM.zip into my internal SD Card I am not putting it into the Root, Instead I am putting it in a folder in the Root that I created, called "Roms", therefore my phone cannot find the file while it is booting. Somebody please tell me this is why I am getting stuck at the splash screen so I don't have to do anymore re-roots, re-flashes and troubleshooting, I'm getting a bit frustrated and I hate Samsung's default launcher. =S

Upvote 0
Alright i'll try that tomorrow, Do you think it could be something in the root, because every time I root my phone at the very end it has some error message in all the run scripts, but the last thing still says it rooted fine. I also still have superuser and got titanium backup and it all worked fine.

I don't think that would be it. Its pretty common to have to try superuser 3 or 4 times to get it to work.

Upvote 0
I've been told I may need to update my Hboot, and my Radio, do you have any idea how to do this?

As far as I know, Hboot is for a different phone. HTC I think. A radio you just need to download and flash in recovery just like a rom. I don't know why you would need to do that for Jedi Mind Trick.

What version of android is on your phone now?

Have you tried moving the rom to the root of your sd card and flashing again?

It looks like this rom is for the Telus. I don't know if you having a Telus makes a difference but you might try and see if you can flash that one.

Reactions: AustinsGalaxy
Upvote 0
I just followed this guide on my Telus S2X, and upon trying to flash CM9, I get the following error:

...Whole bunch of gibberish...

E:Error in /sdcard/cm-9.0.0-galaxys2.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

Any thoughts?

Sounds like a bad download maybe. Try downloading and installing again.

Are you sure its for the SGH-T989D?

Upvote 0
Should be. I downloaded again just to make sure. It's the official Cyanogen CM9 mod for the Galaxy S2.

From this link:
CyanogenMod Downloads

I guess it begs the question...is the CM9 mode applicable for the S2X as well? Or only the S2? Would there be a difference?

If you look at the list on the left side, there are several different Galaxy S2 models. Some are AT&T, some are for the International. You would probably be safest using the one for T-Mobile. Or even better, one from XDA.

Upvote 0
I've tried CM9, CM10 unofficial, and Open Kang ROMs for Hercules.

All of them get to the ROM splash screen then go indefinitely. I've waited over 20 minutes for all so I doubt they're going to work. I flashed it back to the stock Telus ROM and it works. Tried to reflash Cyanogen and still no dice, same problem.

Any ideas? Seems odd.

Upvote 0
I've tried CM9, CM10 unofficial, and Open Kang ROMs for Hercules.

All of them get to the ROM splash screen then go indefinitely. I've waited over 20 minutes for all so I doubt they're going to work. I flashed it back to the stock Telus ROM and it works. Tried to reflash Cyanogen and still no dice, same problem.

Any ideas? Seems odd.

The poster above, AustinsGalaxy, has the T989D and had to flash a different radio to get it to work but I'm not sure which one. I'm guessing it was the T989 UVLE1 ICS Radio. Try flashing that from this link then flash the rom. Also get the T989D TLLE4 ICS Radio. When you want to go back to stock you can flash it too.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip Atmazzz. I didn't realize the radio had to be flashed as well to be used with custom ROMs. Of all the ROM flashing guides that I have read, not a single one of them has mentioned anything about radio flashing being a necessity.

I've got a few critical things to tend to today so I'll hold off performing this flash for a few days. Will post back with my results though!

Quick side question - is there any risk in flashing the radio? I'm assuming it's done with CWM Recovery like other things, and that it is straight-forward to flash the stock radio back?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the tip Atmazzz. I didn't realize the radio had to be flashed as well to be used with custom ROMs. Of all the ROM flashing guides that I have read, not a single one of them has mentioned anything about radio flashing being a necessity.

Quick side question - is there any risk in flashing the radio?

Normally you don't have to flash a radio. But most of these roms are for the SGH-T989 not the T989D. I honestly don't know what the difference is, and I don't know this for a fact, but I'm assuming you need the T-Mobile radio to get the T-Mobile rom to work. Yes, you flash a radio in CWM. No, there isn't any risk to flashing one. I've tried one for the Galaxy Note but it didn't improve my signal so I flashed back to my stock radio.

Go to settings > about phone > and see what your baseband version is. That is your radio.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones